Windows 2000 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtreme35967

Baseband Member
Ok I am a noob when it comes to 2000 Server. I am going to school to be a network admin. I have a problem though. Ok this is the set up. I have two computers running 2000 server and they are replicating the DNS. I need to know how I can activate internet sharing on my domain without messing up my DNS server that I use to log into my domain. My Cable Provider is Adelphia Cabel and they use DHCP IP's. I have been trying to figure this one out for a while with no luck. Any help that yall could give would be vary nice.

Thanks,
Robert

Well, you can't use ICS on either of the 2000 server machines. I would try and use static addresses. Just make sure that the PCs behind the 2000 servers have a real DNS address and NOT the DNS address of an internal, private IP.

I need to be able to have an internet connection on my domain and still be able to use my domains DNS server. I know it can be done so someone plz help me with this.

well, you can....
Just use two NICs on one of the servers.
ICS and a DC running AD with a DNS with pose as a conflict as they both try to communicate using the same two port numbers.
But just use two NICs and then give static addresses to the rest of your network.

ok that went just a little over my head could you plz explain it better. I can hook my modem up by usb

How many user nodes do you have that need to be able to connect to the internet?
Do you just have 1 Win 2000 server that is using a cable modem via USB?
First of all, place two NICs in the one server that is connected to the net. Get rid of the USB connection and use ethernet all around. (It will be easier to troubleshoot from a networking standpoint)

Ok I have two domain controllers on the network and yes the main domain controller is connected by usb to the modem. I can get another nic so that is not a problem. Then I have to be able to add two more computers to the domain and have internet access on them (I will be adding more in the near future).

I have to go to work now but I will be home at 10:30pm if you are online. I would really like to get this sorted out this weekend. Thanks.

xtreme35967 said:
I have to go to work now but I will be home at 10:30pm if you are online. I would really like to get this sorted out this weekend. Thanks.

You could just use a foward lookup zone. I have a 2003 Server setup as a Domain Controller and DNS server. So long as this server has a foward lookup zone that points to the ISP's DNS server then you can have all your internal machines running the IP address of your internal DNS/DC. When you connect to the internet anything that cant be found on your server the server will then foward it onto the external source for a DNS lookup.

You can configure this on your DNS config tool. Just add the lookup zone to your foward section and WINS section then bam your set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom