Which of these is the better choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lake1234

Beta member
Hello,
This is my first post, so hopefully I'm posting this in the right place. If not, I apologize. I am in the market for a new desktop. I have a monitor, keyboard, speakers, etc. Almost all of my usage is for web browsing(video and music streaming) and internet poker. Which of these systems would some of you recommend to someone who is not very tech savvy? For what it's worth, I am upgrading from a Dell dimension 2400 dinosaur, so any improvement is going to be substantial I'm sure. Thanks in advance for any help.

Newegg.com - HP Pavilion A4310F(AY014AA#ABA) Athlon II X2 250(3.0GHz) 4GB DDR3 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Gateway Official Site: Shop - Desktops - SX2800 07 Desktop Product Details

if you must get a pre-built, this here could be another option,
Newegg.com - Recertified: HP Pavilion P6230Y(NY549AAR) Phenom II X4 810(2.6GHz) 8GB DDR3 750GB ATI Radeon HD 4200 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

it too comes with a quad core and win7 home premium, but with twice the ram (8gigs) and a larger hdd (750gb) and better integrated video.

Yeah, Muffin's option would be the best, if you don't mind a Re-certified PC. I don't buy anything re-certified, unless it's from Newegg, as they back up their warranties. The HD4200 graphics are MUCH better than the Intel and Nvidia from the other computers, so you'd never have a problem playing any of the online poker games with them. I had the 6150SE a couple years back, and I played Fulltilt poker, and would get random lag throughout the game, while sitting at a table.

Guys, I really appreciate your input on my first question here. As I've spent quite a bit of time reading and researching, I've become insanely interested in possibly doing a self-build, or rather a self upgrade. I currently have a 5-6 year old Dell Dimension 2400. I will paste the current specs according to PC Wizard at the bottom. Like I said earlier, I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do play Poker across multiple sites(as many as 4 at a time). I also like to stream sporting events and movies as well. I can make do with what I have now, but I would like to gradually improve the system as a whole. Once I finish, the case may be the only original part. I want to do it as spare money permits. What would be a good gameplan as far as order of replacement, brand of parts, etc.? MOBO/CPU replacement? PSU replacement? Graphics/Video card? I'd also like to be able stream to my TV. Please keep in mind that I'm a newbie, so I may be asking the wrong questions or giving the wrong information. Thanks for any help.

Mainboard : Dell Computer Corp. 0G1548
Chipset : Intel i845G
Processor : Intel Pentium 4 @ 2400 MHz
Physical Memory : 1536 MB
Video Card : Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
Hard Disk : WDC (40 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8481B
DVD-Rom Drive : _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A
Monitor Type : HF229 - 22 inches
Network Card : BCM440x 10/100 Integrated Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2
DirectX : Version 9.0c