PSU for GTX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.
People seem to think the 5870 is basically the same as the gtx 480 when this is not the case at all. The gtx 480 is significantly better, actually i couldn't have asked for a much bigger increase over the 5870 from the release. Yes power is definitely it's major drawback, temperatures don't really bother me as much as people say because it is designed to run at just under 100C absolute load, cutting off at 105. The selling point for me was that the minimum framerate and AA performance the gtx480 provides, this is where the gtx 480 is about 15-20% better in most cases.

Guys, if he wants to get a GTX 480 then that's his choice. He asked us to recommend a good power supply for use with a GTX 480.

I'm not an expert in PSU's but I would recommend anything above 650W by corsair.

This is the PSU I have and I love it: Newegg.com - SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

700W, 80+ certified, modular, quiet, and made by Sea Sonic. It'll handle one GTX 480 but you'll probably need another if you ever plan on using SLI.

I just bought Corsair 750w power supply from Newegg last month. I got two 5870s and got physX card coming in. Now I think that i need like a 1000w. wanna buy mine for $85 + shipping?

The 650w that 35g700 mentioned would actually work fine, it would allow more than enough power. That's a really good unit. Get the modular model if you want. The gtx 480 is a very good performer with FPS, and from what I have seen the people that have them are more than happy with them. The heat and power draw is up for you to decide on if it's a big deal. The more real world reviews (from actual consumers) that are taking place with them, the less of an issue the heat/power seems to be. 5870 and the 480 are both awesome cards that trade blows with different features. Choose what you want homie..

Guys, if he wants to get a GTX 480 then that's his choice. He asked us to recommend a good power supply for use with a GTX 480.

Yeah... sorry I got so subjective. bad day.

Anywho, to answer your question further, do you plan to get SLI some point down the road or just a single card for the existence of the build?

Lol, uhh, apparently you dont know the definition of a enthusiast :p A true enthusiast is someone who is looking to have "the fastest card" out there. They do not care about performance/watt,heat, power consumption or fan noise. They just want power.

According to that definition a enthusiast would buy a HD 5970 since it's the fastest card out there. :p

What's with all the GTX4XX hating around here :p

I couldn't care less about heat or power, and i get performance that is between a 5850 and 5870 for a similar price, plus PhysX and CUDA, and many months worth of driver updates to catch up with the 5870. And most importantly I don't feel lame every time i start up a game that has the "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played" logo when i have an ATI card.

What's with all the GTX4XX hating around here :p

I couldn't care less about heat or power, and i get performance that is between a 5850 and 5870 for a similar price, plus PhysX and CUDA, and many months worth of driver updates to catch up with the 5870. And most importantly I don't feel lame every time i start up a game that has the "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played" logo when i have an ATI card.

Some people do care about heat and power, personally I consider anything above 80c while in game unacceptable for a gpu and would prefer it to stay well below 70c.

When Anandtech conducted a poll about physx most people said it wouldn't influence their gpu purchases and more people thought it had a negative impact on pc gaming than thought it was a good thing so I would say a lot of people don't care about physx either.

As for CUDA it's essentially irrelevant thanks to OpenCL and DirectX Compute.

The GTX 4xx series are very powerful cards but compared to the ATI 5xxx series they aren't as good IMO.

Here are some reasons why:

-The 4xx series came out a half year after ATI's 5xxx series.
-The 4xx series uses a lot more power then ATI's 5xxx series.
-The 4xx series creates a lot more heat then ATI's 5xxx series.

Maybe if nvidia had gotten their cards out a half year earlier and they didn't use as much power and make as much heat people wouldn't hate them so much.

Just my opinion.

Some people do care about heat and power, personally I consider anything above 80c while in game unacceptable for a gpu and would prefer it to stay well below 70c.

When Anandtech conducted a poll about physx most people said it wouldn't influence their gpu purchases and more people thought it had a negative impact on pc gaming than thought it was a good thing so I would say a lot of people don't care about physx either.

As for CUDA it's essentially irrelevant thanks to OpenCL and DirectX Compute.

I can perhaps understand power, but heat i can not. It doesn't effect anyone, i don't see how it would make any difference if the thing ran at -96c or 96c. It works just fine, and that is what it was designed to run at.

I struggle to see how people can see PhysX as a negative, it greatly improves the physics simulations in games in a relatively realistic manor for something thats real time. But then i am bias, as for some reason i've always loved anything physics related - i find myself spending hours on youtube finding the best water simulations possible :yum: I would easily say i would prefer realistic physics in games than graphics.

Yeh, the gtx4xx cards are very poorly designed in efficiency terms, but to some people like me that really does not care about efficiency, the point is irrelevent. I am only interested in the FPS it delivers and the features it offers. The FPS is great in all games, it may not yet be equal to the similarly priced 5870 but to me it offers beneficial features that i appreciate. The only feature i do truly wish nvidias new cards would have is output through both DVI slots and the mini hdmi at the same time for three monitors, it annoys me that'll i'll need another 470 when i want a third monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom