Well, it is almost done...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, check this out. I have racked the brain, just a little on this one. I could take out the two 180mm fans above the PSU, and under the HDDs. I took measurements and it would fit, but on two of the fans, I would have 1/2" clearance between the fans and the PSU, is that sufficient for acceptable airflow?

The only thing that I cant find are the waterblocks for two GTX 260s (55nm/core 216). I have everything else picked out and waiting to be ordered. If anyone has these cards on water, please tell me where you got the blocks from. I would like to give a big shout out to some very valuable members of this community. Namely Slaymate for his wonderful guides and for selling me a great cpu at a great price, to Burn for his expert build guidance, and S0ulphire for his help getting acquainted with the bios.

Seems a bit odd to me, not that I have any experience with water cooling at all. Wouldn't it make more sense to do a dualish loop? Say Cpu>Mossfet1>Mosset2>Rad>Chipset>GPU1>GPU2>RAD>Pump>Res?

Unless I'm thinking about it wrong, a rad is only going to cool water so much, so running warm water through a rad, then that cooler water through another rad; the second rad wouldn't have as much of an effect? Know what I mean? Splitting up the rads would mean getting overall cooler water to everything, instead of having cool water on the cpu, then warmer water on the gpus.

Seems a bit odd to me, not that I have any experience with water cooling at all. Wouldn't it make more sense to do a dualish loop? Say Cpu>Mossfet1>Mosset2>Rad>Chipset>GPU1>GPU2>RAD>Pump>Res?

Unless I'm thinking about it wrong, a rad is only going to cool water so much, so running warm water through a rad, then that cooler water through another rad; the second rad wouldn't have as much of an effect? Know what I mean? Splitting up the rads would mean getting overall cooler water to everything, instead of having cool water on the cpu, then warmer water on the gpus.
Very interesting point, as computer radiators actually have a much less effect on cooling water of low temps.

I'd guess it's because the main thing you're trying to cool is the CPU. For the GPUs it doesn't really matter if they hit 72 instead of 62, but for the CPU every degree could help.

Just shooting out of my *** here so if anyone wants to correct me go for it :p

After much thought and consideration, I have decided to trade in the 2 gtx 260s for 1 HD5970, and concentrate on cooling the cpu, mosfet, and chipset with one rad, which should be more than sufficient, given that my cpu at 4.4ghz with HT on only goes to 71c max in LinX on core0 without proper cure time. In the future, should I purchase another 5970, I will definitely consider putting it all on water. I'm hoping that the MSI 5970 Twin FrozR Edition will hit shelves before I pull the trigger. I am thoroughly impressed by the coolers on these GTX 260s. Also keep in mind that I'm running 1/2" ID tubing/barbs, so all in all the water is moving pretty quickly.

I finally completed pretty much all that I wanted to do. The mesh under the grills on the sides and top are now metallic silver, the black plexi-glass window on the back has been replaced by a nice honeycomb mesh to allow air from the rad to enter the case, the rad has been turned right-side up, and has 1/2" ID 90 degree barbs. The tubing has been redone, and is half Feser blue/ half tygon clear(1/2'' ID, 5/8"- 3/8" OD). All wiring has been redone. I added a waterblock and have the back-plate waiting for the GPU coming on Monday. I finished and installed an extra 120mm intake fan, measured and cut a 120mm honeycomb mesh grill, and painted a big black Z (stands for Zelus) highlighting the fan and mesh grill. I also installed foam strips around the air-boxes to further prevent air-leakage and also provide some protection, as well as to make it look prettier, and a strip on the case outside of the rads/fans to prevent air from the rad drying out my eyes. I also installed foam strips at planned areas inside the chasis to increase the pressure difference (between top and bottom) by further preventing air leakage. The only future upgrades that are planned are a dual 120mm rad inside the case that will focus on mosfets/chipset, and of course waterblocks and tubing for said mosfets/chipset, and perhaps another gpu with waterblock. Here are the pictures, the gpu wont arrive until Monday, so until then I'll have a GPU waterblock loose.

Attachments

• start.jpg
    start.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00366.jpg
    DSC00366.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00367.jpg
    DSC00367.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 58
Doesn't look to bad, kind of hard to tell what it will look like when it's done because of the hanging GPU block though. One thing I don't like is the electrical tape on the tubes outside the case. Do those two tubes stray off a lot without the tape? What did the airboxes look like without the foam?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom