Help with overclocking core i7???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alive.777

In Runtime
Hi again lol
Just a few concerns about overclocking my core i7 930 cpu on a gigabyte x58a ud7r with corsair xms3 6gb tri channel

I want to achieve a 3.1-3.2ghz overclock from 2.80ghz but i have no idea how to do it. iam worried that i might burn it out or shorten its life span by pushing it faster then it was designed to go. i have a zalman cpns10 extreme aftermarket cooler to help with cooling but ive heard that this guy overclocked his i7 and some of his threads died and his cpu was wrecked:confused:

If someone could give me some instructions on how to overclock this cpu safley, that would be great:big_smile:
Iam just worried because the cpu is brand new and very expensive and i dont want to alter its life span in any way. Will my cpu be extremely good for gaming without overclock and if i do overclock it what fps increase would i get???

Thanks i advance

After reading my motherboards manual i found that it comes with a program called easy tune 6 which alows you to overclock without going into the bois. It has 3 cpu settings for quick overclocking level0 overclock lvl1 overclock and lvl2 overclock. they all increase the speed of the cpu and they change the volatges to the right settings. IS this reliable???
Should i trust this program to do it right???

And can someone please tell me if overclocking shortens the life span of my cpu???

Software based overclocking utilities like Easy Tune have their purpose and most Motherboards come with a simular utility. The utility that came with my Motherboard let's you adjust quite a few settings so I use it to "pre-test" various settings. But I wouldn't consider using it as a substitute for actually adjusting the Bios.

When you select one of the preset overclocking options Easy Tune will make a few pre-determined general changes that should work for most users. But as "general changes" they are not to be considered reliable. In order to work for the "most users" the Voltage Settings are usually set at a higher value than what may actually be needed. Because of this over-volting, which is usually done with stock cooling, the system will usually run hotter than it should. And this can shorten the Life Span of the CPU. But even with a reduced Life Span most, but not all, CPU's will become out-dated before they die.

I am not saying you can't damage or kill your cpu thou, it can be done. But the odds of it happening with a Modern CPU and it's built-in Thermal Protection is rather large.

You might use an in-OS overclocking utility to bump an overclock a little higher, when you're trying to go for the absolute highest OC you can, but apart from that I wouldn't touch it.

I am not saying you can't damage or kill your cpu thou, it can be done. But the odds of it happening with a Modern CPU and it's built-in Thermal Protection is rather large.
I think you mean rather small :p But in agreement those overclocking profiles are just for mildish overclocks that are guaranteed to work for the most part, like a i7 clocked 3.2ghz with a mild voltage increase. I dunno, but personally it seems these software based overclocking utilities take the real fun out of overclocking, i like changing my clocks while the computer is not in full operation.

I think you mean rather small :p But in agreement those overclocking profiles are just for mildish overclocks that are guaranteed to work for the most part, like a i7 clocked 3.2ghz with a mild voltage increase. I dunno, but personally it seems these software based overclocking utilities take the real fun out of overclocking, i like changing my clocks while the computer is not in full operation.

Fixed :D

use easytune to make minor adjustments dont bother with that yet. start with BIOS first.
u can go way past 3.2 ghz. not sure how good your heatsink is though.
read this if u want to get to 4ghz
when u make bios changes u want to load your cpu tocheck stability using LinX use max memory and 5 runs. . Also have real temp and hw-monitor running in the background to check temps. each of your 4 cores should stay under 85 degrees
I would read slaymate's how to(which helped alot) and get familiar with basics then maybe read this guide afterwards...as this might help as well
You should make changes to one thing at a time. start near stock speed
Turbo on
start with a 15x cpu mulitiplier and 160blk (15+1 =16x160= 2560mhz
memory divder at 2:8
uncore freq at 16x
so you want to figure out your vtt first. default is 1.2v (+0 mv)
this is the power u need for your default uncore frequency. ( 16x 133= 2128mhz)
since u changing blk to 160 (160 x 16 uncore freq= 2560mhz) higher than the 2128 so u need more vtt
up it 1 step at a time (+25mv) until u get stable. u may need to start at +100mv at first
once stable then in bios Raise your blk to 170 (170x16=2720) so u need to raise VTT again to power uncore.
once u get stable go 175 blk and increase and increase in 3-5 blk increments
go till u get stable at 183blk
now u want to up your cpu mulitipler 1 at a time. right now you are at 15x.
When u up your cpu mulitplier u need to up your Vcore. go 1 step at time and check stability using LinX.
when raising vcore u temps will rise fast!
also u will notice that when u get up to 3.6ghz the voltage requirement goes up alot more and faster.
go untill you hit 21x w/ turbo (22x183=4ghz) nice
there are more stuff u can tweak after this point. but this is how u can get to 4ghz
once your done with your tweaks u want to check long term stability. download and use prime95 (on blend setting) for 8-10hrs.
the forums helped me alot keep reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom