My CPU is running a bit toasty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
I have never bothered to check my CPU temps, because my CPU has been fine and never crashed or become unstable or anything of the likes. But, i decided i'd have a quick check, and the results weren't good. They're extremely bad.

toastytemp.jpg

As soon as it hit 99c the sensor check came up as LOG. I confirmed these temps on SpeedFan.
I never suspected they got anywhere near this because if i ever reboot and check in the bios, or start up my pc for the first time, the CPU temp there says between 45 and 50. But if i check during using my desktop its around 55 to 65, and these pictures are when it's under load (between 25 and 80percent) on BFBC2 for 20minutes.

I know they should not be anywhere even approaching them temps, but in all honesty it really has not been a problem. Anyway, time for a significant underclock i think :sweat:

edit:

Just realised, in the BIoS i have CPU temp warning at 70c, which is odd as i've never heard it come on, maybe my PC speaker isn't working properlly or i have it set up wrong.

If i remember, one of the temp programs doesnt read 45nm chips right...

But i'm not sure which....

Well, they both showed the same thing.

My CPU should be at 1.25v, i did have it at 1.45v, and now i've just downed it to 1.35v.HWMonitor recorded a max temp of 69c, which is much better - but still not particularly good. I'll see what the other two say.

You want to keep your Max. Load temps in the Hi 50's to Lo 60's.

At those temps you've probably baked your thermal paste. I would replace it.

This maybe why you can't run 3DMark06 or Vantage

It's definitely bad when your CPU is hotter than a Fermi card. :p Let the PC sit in BIOS for 10 minutes with out any use, and check the idle temps.

This maybe why you can't run 3DMark06 or Vantage

Who said i can't run 3DMark ? I said my PC sucks at it, it can run it just fine. Just like my CPU does 24 hours of Prime95 and Orthos absolutely fine. My CPU would of been at those temps for months, and nothings happened. Still, around 70c now which i am personally happy with.

I'm not in BiOS, but on HWMonitor at the moment. And it depends what you mean by CPU temperature, see the actual reading callled CPU says 48c.However Core 0, 1 ,2 , 3 range from 56 to 59c

I win in this situation either way, either my CPU carries along all fine and dandy, or it breaks and my parents let me 'replace' my processor with an i7. Win win.

Yeh, i probably should. But i hate doing it, the clips for attatching the heatsink on my socket 775 cpu has to be one of the worst designs i have ever came across. I am positive i could come up with something 5x as easy whilst also being more secure. Even an extremely simple screw based system would be far easier.

Who said i can't run 3DMark ? I said my PC sucks at it, it can run it just fine.

When you posted this it sounded like you were having problems.

My PC fails at 3dMark06, i have a good GPU and CPU and the rest is just crap. But i'll download it and give it a shot, along with Vantage.

And since you still haven't posted any results I just assumed you couldn't get it to run.

It's amazing what a good dusting, cpu fan re-orientation and new thermal compound can do.

In this case, knock 14c off my idle temps.

Ohh! 20c off my load temps :big_grin:

Then again there was a heck of a lot of dust, to the point i had to walk away from the computer for respiratory problems (really).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom