Advice on building my gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

phiyuku

Beta member
Okay so far I have chosen the parts that I wanted. I need to know if everything is compatible since this is my first computer I have actually chosen all the parts. And in the future might want to do Tri SLI since by adding more and more graphics card which would probably be cheaper in the future would increase performance without scrapping the whole thing. As well as do some overclocking. I need to know if the power supply is sufficient enough. Maybe you can also find parts alternatives to make it cheaper as well since who doesn't like to keep a bit more money in their wallet. Here is my wishlist from newegg.

Newegg.com - Once You Know, You Newegg

the corsair ram is nice, but overpriced. get these instead, same speed, same cas.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK

get a 5770 instead. similar performance, uses less power, runs cooler, supports dx11 and eyefinity.
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

or spend some more an more powerful 5850
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ ATI Eyefinity

also, tri-sli wouldn't really be practical. after 2 cards, a 3rd and/or a 4th card will only offer a small boost in performance while consuming more power and generating more heat. best, to just stick to 2 cards.

I think I am going to stick with the GTX 260 since so far I have not seen much DX11 games and benchmarks show GTX 260 Core 216 beating the 5770 but that 5850 does seem tempting. Also GTX 260 has PhysX and is factory overclocked.. Maybe I will shell out a bit more and wait a little bit until Newegg gets more GTX 470 since at the moment all of them are sold out for better performance, get DX11 and PhysX. Or wait for a GTX 460 and see how it performs though I have no idea how long that wait will be. I have replaced Corsair with OCZ ram which saved me a bit of money.

Do you recommend an aftermarket fan or the stock heatsink fan should be fine with the Intel i7 930?

"Factory Overclock" can be achieved in 2 seconds moving two sliders. PhysX is a gimmick, for the price of a second card for it you should just buy 1 more powerful card. Plus you can have PhysX with ATI cards with a couple hacks.

Look at a 5850 if you're low on cash. Great performance/value, far better then any Nvidia card right now.

Yeah, + 1 on the 5850. I think your cpu is too powerful for a 260/5770. Don't waste that power!

agreed, i would also consider grabbing a ud5
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
saves you a decent amount and is just as good of a board. It is basically the same as the ud7, with slightly lower phase power (which is really a gimmick at that level).
Also grab this power supply, its a bit cheaper, and better!
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

those are decent savings to put towards a spanking new 5850 :D

Wow that ASUS other motherboard is the exact same minus the second LAN port from what I can tell? Any of you know of any differences cause if that's it that's a very good find.

Hmmmm I think that's it since I found a killer deal on the i7 930 for only 200 dollars at micro center which would save me a nice 100 dollars. After mail in rebate it seems like everything will cost me 1350.

Pretty sure the GTX 470 is better and its only about 40 dollars more than the HD 5850 is it worth it?

it is a bit better than a 5850, but besides costing some more, it also consumes more power and generates more heat.

if you're looking for bang for buck, the 5850 would probably be the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom