$1500 Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

pswayne

Baseband Member
Hi, I buiilt my exisiting rig in '08 with the help of this fourm and now need to upgrade.
I'd really appreciate some help again, and am asking if there is anything wrong with this list of components? It's for heavy photoshop use as well as everyday multi tasking.

Gig x58 Mobo --http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128423
i7-930 cpu - Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor
G.Skill Ram 12 GB - Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI
EVGA GTX 470 - Newegg.com - EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Intel M SSD - Newegg.com - Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Also, I have a Zalman 9700 cpu cooler in my rig, but was thinking of getting a Cooler Master Hyper 212.

Thanks.

Right now, while the 470 is really cool, Moneys better spent on ATI cards as theyre dx11.

Oreo has just got a 470, and is testing his, so if you are wanting it, watch his thread.

Thanks, guys. I'll watch Oreo's thread. I'd kinda like to go with Nvidia because CS5 smiles on it, esp with CUDA.

But what about the other parts and pieces? See any problems there like with the CPU or Ram? And will the Zalman I have do the job or do I need something bigger?

BTW, I didn't get email notification that someone answered my post.

Yes, dirkpitt45, Adobe. I've been beta testing it for the last couple months. Awesome software.
The Sunbeam looks good. I guess the fan moves up for clearance, right? Just wondering because the G Skill ram is a bit tall.

The 5870 also looks good. The thing is, I've got an Nvidia 8800GT as one of my two cards now,(running 4 monitors), and I don't really want to mix with another brand.

Ah cool, can't wait for cs5, even though I probably won't use half the new stuff :p

Though you won't need 12gb of ram, if you do, adobe should keep it in beta for a while longer.

Also since you're running 4 monitors, the 5870 is an even better choice. ATI has this neat little feature known as "Eyefinity". It will scale any program or software to fit on all of your monitors. With the exception of a few online fps, you can have a ginormous resolution with multiple monitors. Google image it for some more examples. Since the 5870 has 2 DVI, 1 display port, and 1 HDMI, you can run all 4 monitors off of the one card; with an adapter or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom