PSU for GTX 480

Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelvvmm

In Runtime
Hi,
I have a vx550w power supply. Would that be enough to power one gtx 480?
My specs are:
amd phenom II 955
2 gigs of ram

It'd be cutting it close with a 480. Go with a 5870, comparable performance but for less and it'll run no problem on that psu.

Look at this video the GTX 480 is getting way better fps than the 5870:
YouTube - GTX 480 Vs HD 5870 EXTREME Tessellation Showdown

Comparing the cards solely based off of tessellation performance isn't very useful since few games utilize it. Also there is some speculation that due to the way the GF100 (GTX 4x0) architecture is designed it performs far better in synthetic tessellation centered benchmarks like Heaven that it would in a real gameplay situation involving more than just tessellation.

Read through this, Hardware Canucks are very thorough in their reviews. The gtx 480 is an enthusiast card, its costs a lot, and only delivers slightly more fps. The 5870 costs less, makes less heat, uses less power, and only delivers slightly less fps.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 Review

Assuming it doesn't burn up by then :p

As Puddle said, some people think the gtx 480/470 only perform well in synthetic tessellation, where all they do is that. In games the card is doing much more then just tessellation, as in current benches you can see that. The 480 just edges out the 5870 by a couple fps in most games, even though in those tessellation benches it seems to destroy the 5870.

The 5870 is just a better all-around card for gaming and everyday use, plus you won't need a new power supply for it.

I know this is solely based off of subjective thought, but really, screw nVidia

"power and heat are not concerns of enthusiast-level markets"

Ugh, yes it is.... setting one goal of high frame rates when there is so much more to your product is ridiculous. Competition is good these days, and nVidia needs a wake up call. If they want to brute force things rather design a good product, which ATi has as of late since the HD 4K series, they are going to have problems. I don't care what the review sites say, the 5870 is practically as good as the GTX 480 for 20% less $$$$, better fps/Watt, and better thermal dump.

Don't support nVidia on this one.

vx550 would be cutting it a bit close. I run a 5870+vx550 with a tiny bit of headroom. I wouldn't do it with a gtx 480.

I know this is solely based off of subjective thought, but really, screw nVidia

"power and heat are not concerns of enthusiast-level markets"

Ugh, yes it is.... setting one goal of high frame rates when there is so much more to your product is ridiculous. Competition is good these days, and nVidia needs a wake up call. If they want to brute force things rather design a good product, which ATi has as of late since the HD 4K series, they are going to have problems. I don't care what the review sites say, the 5870 is practically as good as the GTX 480 for 20% less $$$$, better fps/Watt, and better thermal dump.

Don't support nVidia on this one.

Lol, uhh, apparently you dont know the definition of a enthusiast :p A true enthusiast is someone who is looking to have "the fastest card" out there. They do not care about performance/watt,heat, power consumption or fan noise. They just want power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom