CPU bottleneck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masteroc

In Runtime
Rig stats are in my sig.

Thinking about upgrading my graphics card(s) to either, one of the last generation Nvidia cards (hoping to get them cheap) or a 5 series ATI. My main question(s) are:

1) Will I see a big improvement over my current sli with a single of the above mentioned cards?
-Im assuming this will be a yes, just double checking

2). Will my Q6600 be a bottleneck (if so about how much) for one of the above listed cards?
-Im thinking this will be a no since most games (as far as I have heard) are optimized for quad cores

Thanks!

1) depends what card you get.

2) i am not sure about this, but there was a similar question like this elsewhere regarding a q6600.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/graphics-performance-list-212331/index29.html
question:
I guess.

Oh random question 'cus i dont want to make a whole new thread about it;

Would you expect a Q9550 @ 3.7ghz to be a bottleneck for my GTX 470 thats on its way ? And my friend just ordered a GTX 470 too, but only has a Q660 @ 2.6ghz, so what about for him too ?

I googled this stuff but theirs nothing definitive out there.

responses:
the Q6600 at 2.6 might bottleneck the 470

A little bit. That architecture is showing its age now and anything less than a Q9xxx series will slow cards higher than the GTX 295. Not a substantial amount, but still a bit of a bottleneck.

so i guess if the new card you're looking is of similar or greater performance to a gtx 470, then your cpu will be somewhat of small a bottleneck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom