overclocking to 4.2-4.4ghz help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure exactly how flat the surface with the heatpipes is, but on a very flat surface I think that would be too much thermal paste (first pic).
You just need to put a half or full rice grain amount in the centre (depends on surface) and maybe an even smaller amount in each corner and let the heatsink spread it
The thermal paste is basically only there to prevent there from being air gaps. It has less thermal conductivity than the metal of the heatsink or the IHS (but significantly more thermal conductivity than air)
*edit*
okay I didn't see that it was before and after pics.

Anyway, it might be possible it's actually your RAM that's limiting your overclock, not the CPU. Or even the motherboard.

Hmmm, not sure if/how that one ties in with OCing. Just follow my post above

edit: you may want to check that all your drivers are installed.

I'm not sure exactly how flat the surface with the heatpipes is, but on a very flat surface I think that would be too much thermal paste (first pic).
You just need to put a half or full rice grain amount in the centre (depends on surface) and maybe an even smaller amount in each corner and let the heatsink spread it
The thermal paste is basically only there to prevent there from being air gaps. It has less thermal conductivity than the metal of the heatsink or the IHS (but significantly more thermal conductivity than air)

the first pic i was hitting with the same settings 79 i took the cpu off and wiped it and put a small rice in the middle now with same settings im hitting 92

*edit*
Hmmm, not sure if/how that one ties in with OCing. Just follow my post above

edit: you may want to check that all your drivers are installed.

this been happening even with no OCing on stock speeds i dont no what it is i checked all drivers everything works and installed perfectly.

this been happening even with no OCing on stock speeds i dont no what it is i checked all drivers everything works and installed perfectly.

On further research this seems to be a memory problem. Download memtest and check each stick individually.

the first pic i was hitting with the same settings 79 i took the cpu off and wiped it and put a small rice in the middle now with same settings im hitting 92
Reseat the heatsink again. The goal with the thermal paste, as Apok said, is to provide better contact between the IHS on the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink. Too much and you'll be hindering the heat transfer, not enough and there'll be tiny gaps and air pockets between the two surfaces.

Clean the paste off with a cloth and some methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol. Then apply a small dot in the middle of the CPU. About the amount you did last time is good. When you install the heatsink again, twist it around a little before tightening it fully.

On further research this seems to be a memory problem. Download memtest and check each stick individually.

Reseat the heatsink again. The goal with the thermal paste, as Apok said, is to provide better contact between the IHS on the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink. Too much and you'll be hindering the heat transfer, not enough and there'll be tiny gaps and air pockets between the two surfaces.

Clean the paste off with a cloth and some methylated spirits or rubbing alcohol. Then apply a small dot in the middle of the CPU. About the amount you did last time is good. When you install the heatsink again, twist it around a little before tightening it fully.

ok so i did test the mem sticks 1 by 1 when i got them it all went fine no errors or nothing i will check it again

and i will clean it again and redo the thermal paste i think the one came with it is very very bad!! its 2 stiky not like the white one i dont no why

It could also be a bad memory slot on the motherboard. After you've checked each stick, test each slot by installing one stick at a time, then moving it into the next slot, etc.

It could also be a bad memory slot on the motherboard. After you've checked each stick, test each slot by installing one stick at a time, then moving it into the next slot, etc.

got it!!! i will try that tomorrow.

Thanks alot for your help i really appreciate it :)

I'm guessing the heatpipes don't exactly make a smooth surface then

Try running memtest86

alright i checked everything works fine here some pix i took

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii234/nybadboy767/9addaaa4.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii234/nybadboy767/ffad4b9c.jpg

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii234/nybadboy767/062e9085.jpg

and when i play a game my computer freezes but i can hear the music of the game

I was getting this error code for awhile - 0x0000001e

It was a driver conflict with the newer 190 series video driver and a Realtek Network Adapter Driver update from Windows Update. I rolled the Realtek Network Adapter Driver back to the previous version and everything is good again.

I suspect something simular is happening to you. Look at your Windows Update History and see if it has updated any drivers recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom