Graphic card/s suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fred1500

Beta member
Hi all
I'm in the process of building a new system and need help in deciding what graphic card or cards to use so any ideas would be welcomed. the build will be about 60/40 gameing and graphics work. This is what I've got so far
m/b asus p6x58d premium
cpu intel i7 930 2.80Ghz X58 LGA1366 over clocked
cpu cooler Themalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm fan
ram Corsair 6 x 2GB DDR3 1600 Dominator TR3X6G1600C8D
psu Corsair HX 1000W
hdd Seagate Barracuda 4x 1T 7200.12 SATA 3Gb/s raid 10
case Antec Nine Hundred Two
o/s windows 7 ultimate 64 bit

Dominators are way over-priced, look for OCZ golds, same speed, same timings, just cheaper. Also that corsair 1000w, although its a great PSU, is complete overkill. Look at the 750hx, or 850hx if you plan on xfire cards later on. Also would recommend WD blacks or samsung spinpoint f3s over the seagates. Seagates are the only brand of drive I've ever had fail on me, plus the WD blacks are faster.

For the gpu, all depends on your budget. Look at these, in order of pricing:
Newegg.com - XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
Newegg.com - XFX HD-585X-ZAFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

XFX comes with double lifetime warranty, and they're usually cheaper or in the lower price range. Can't go wrong with XFX.

Dominators are way over-priced, look for OCZ golds, same speed, same timings, just cheaper. Also that corsair 1000w, although its a great PSU, is complete overkill. Look at the 750hx, or 850hx if you plan on xfire cards later on. Also would recommend WD blacks or samsung spinpoint f3s over the seagates. Seagates are the only brand of drive I've ever had fail on me, plus the WD blacks are faster.

Thanks for that, as stated i already have the parts listed, I do like the look of the WD drives and change to them and sell of the Seagate's I was thinking of a 5870 card or is it better to get 2 older cards for performance and if so what ones

Thanks for that, as stated i already have the parts listed, I do like the look of the WD drives and change to them and sell of the Seagate's I was thinking of a 5870 card or is it better to get 2 older cards for performance and if so what ones

Oh well thought you meant you just had those parts chosen. Definetly stick with a single 5870, and in a while you could pick up a second for cheap and xfire them.

because this was assuming that you would not have enough money for 2 high-end cards from the beginning.

if you can afford 2 high-end cards though, i guess why not?

Though if you can, why not go for a 5970? Then you when you get another 700 you can buy a second for quadfire :eek:

Man quadfire 5970 has some muscle! but really unless he's going at extreme resolutions there's a cpu limit with that much power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom