• For that money - its a great system

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • For a BIT more you could have done a LOT better

• Its ok, but I wouldn't have spent a grand on it

• Some bits good, some bits bad

• Yeah I want a system like that... to prop the door open.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMHill

Solid State Member
I finally managed to put together a system for the budget I wanted - i'd love to hear any opinions on this:

CPU: i7 920
Mobo: Asus P6T SE X58
RAM: Corsair XMS3 6GB PC3-12800
Gfx: Sapphire HD5770
HD: Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green
PSU: Seasonic S12D 850W
Case: Antec 900 II
DVD: Liteon 24x

Cost: around £1000

Thanks in advance for taking the time to give this some thought!

Tom

Here are a few thoughts:
The WD Green are no good to store the OS, they use less power but don't perform well. You should buy a smaller WD Black, very good performance, to store the OS and main applications and a larger one to store your data.
I 650W PSU is enough for your build, or you can get a 750W to add a second card later.
Corsair RAM are good but overpriced. Get this one: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I agree with farinha except for the memory. He's showing you a (2x2GB) kit and you'll need a (3x2GB) kit. I would look for OCZ, G.Skill or Mushkin.

Because the Green has less performance. You want a fast HD do run the OS because the OS is making constant HD readings and writings.

The green isn't that bad. When I built my computer, I didn't know the difference, and I have a green, but a black would be better. I've had it for a year, and I think I'm gonna be stuck with it for two more because I'm never buying another hard drive. I'm going to wait for SSD's to become reasonable, and I think that will likely take 2 more years.

And, if I were going to drop money on an i7 system (like I did) I would want a more powerful gpu than that to go with it. I would say at least a 5850 if not something more powerful.

Agreed on the more powerful GPU part, but disagreed on the green hd part. For storage drives they're fine. But for a main OS drive or to use in an external case, they aren't that great. I mean yeah they aren't horrible, but you can definitely see the difference between a green drive and a blue, even more so a black.

Sorry - should probably have made clearer that I have already bought the stuff !

Thanks for all your comments. I took the point on the Caviar Green and I bought an extra 640Gb Caviar Blue (didn't have the black) for the o/s and progs. The 2Tb Green will serve as a home for all home video, music, photo type stuff. I think thats a sensible outcome. I did read that the black can be quite noisy, and one of the aims was for this system to be silent - the blue is better than the black on that basis.

On the GPU - its a very fair point, and I considered the 5850 long and hard and decided that if I really want to push things, I'd buy another 5770 and crossfire them.

Thanks again

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom