*The Official Tech-Forums Super Pi 1M Rankings*

Re: Super Pi 1M Rankings

Ok, I'll reapply the thermal paste and see what happens. What are the normal temps for this cooler at 3.8GHz? So I can have a reference value.
Thanks.

Well I don't have a 750 or that cooler, but I would expect it to run about the same as my 920 @ 3.8GHz with HT Disabled, or just a hair hotter. I would expect it to run in the mid 60's under full load @ 3.8GHz, low 70's @ 4.0GHz, mid 70's @ 4.2GHz

Here is my new score. I cant go further with HT enabled unless I move the cpu OV jumper on the board, but I just wanted to get a safe feel for where I need to go next for cooling etc.

Attachments

• SuperPI 4.6.jpg
    SuperPI 4.6.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 691

New time:
superpi44312.PNG

For some reason CPU-Z online validation rejects everything above 3.8GHz for Phenom II's
CPU-Z Validator 3.1

I think the CPU and RAM can both do better. but I don't think the board has it in it.

Are you picking up a Phenom II X6 anytime soon?
Yes, within a few days probably (just a matter of where I get it, who has stock, what price)
Holy voltage! Does it really need that much above 3.8? I ran my Linx run at 3.8 with stock clocks (http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6721/linx501290.png). Might have to try for 4 again with higher voltage.
at 3.8 it can run at stock volts, or 4GHz with ~1.475 (24/7 stable). ~1.425V is 99.5% stable at 4GHz (but it can get random reboots after a few/several hours).
When clocking much higher than 4GHz, you need more volts and/or or lower temperatures.
At ~20ºC, 4.4GHz can be done at 1.65V. But at -40ºC (dry ice) it could probably do it at ~1.525-1.55V

Though in my case, the board isn't making it easy, because of the vdroop (~0.05V). Also, it won't allow voltage to be set any more than 1.7V in BIOS (absolute limit) - which is what gave me the ~1.66V you saw in the screenshot - also, the volts varies a bit under different loads.

In any case, Phenom II's are quite tolerant to voltages compared to Intel CPU's as long as temperatures can be managed properly.
It will definitely affect power consumption, and overall lifespan of the CPU can be affected e.g. it might last 8 years instead of 16 if you're running it at 1.6V all the time - though the board is generally a lot more likely to die before the CPU does (>=1.6V is a lot of strain on the board's power regulation).

Back
Top Bottom