Mobo Ram and Cooler Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracotonisamond

Beta member
hello, im new to this forum as it has been 6 years since my last build lol.

but i was wondering, im looking at a GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 for a mobo.
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

12 gigs of Patriot Viper PC3 10666 PVT36G1333LLK in tripple channel configuration
Newegg.com - Patriot Viper 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model PVT36G1333LLK - Desktop Memory

and currently a Cooler Master HyperN 520
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Intel Core i7 compatible Hyper N 520 RR-920-N520-GP 92mm Sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

does anyone know if the ram will clear the cooler on that particular mobo?

or if anyone could suggest me a better cooler that would clear the tall stacks on the ram.

that would be awesome.
if anyone is curious to my full build here it is.
Firestorm '10

coming off a 3.2GHz prescott pentium 4 socket 478, radeon HD 4650 AGP, 3gigs ddr400 and a soundblaster audigy.

cheers!
dracotonisamond.

Save some money and get the i7 920 instead of the 960. The 920 will do everything the 960 can with just a few tweaks.
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

12GB of Memory isn't going to do you any good unless your using some Heavy-Duty Workstation Apps. Get this memory instead, you'll benefit more from the speed than you will from the Quanity.
Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

That Power Supply is way beyond Overkill. This has More Than Enough Power and it's Modular.
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Get this Heatsink.
Newegg.com - Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

and you'll need a Heatsink fan
Newegg.com - Antec 761345-75120-9 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Arctic Silver 5 was the Best Paste back in the Middle Ages. Get some Modern Paste instead.
Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

And get Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

haha thanks.
about the cpu, im not really into the oc scene right now. i have read that the 920 would provide better speeds after an oc. but i dont really prefer it. i think i'll stick with the 960 for right now.

about the ram, i am really trying to future proof this machine for around another 6 years of upgrades, so thus is why i am going for quantity. plus in previous experiences a lower latency is better than faster speeds to a point. not sure where that point is though with the i7.

same goes for the PSU. trying to future proof it, i plan on going CrossfireX in the future with another 5870.

and haha, yeah, back when this pc was high end, arctic silver was king, thanks for showing me that paste instead.

and i think ill stick with 7 pro, i actually have 32 bit pro installed on my current pc and love it. but im going to give my old rig to someone else so i need a new license.

The i7 creates a tremendous amount of Memory Bandwidth, 12 GB is not future-proofing it's a waste of money. The faster Memory, 1600MHz over 1333MHz and the faster timings will benefit you more than Quanity. Your Previous Experience is just that, previous. Your trying to apply old technology experience to new Technology, things are different now.

Even without Overclocking, the 920 is Superior to the 960 just because the 960 is Over-Priced. It's just not worth the money. It's almost twice the price for an Extremely Small Performance Improvement that you will not even notice.

The Power Supply I linked to has More Than Enough Power for (2) 5870's. Once again, your not Future-Proofing your just wasting money that could be used for more/better parts. With the parts I suggested you have probably saved enough money, or close to it, to get a 2nd 5870.

Win 7 Pro is only needed if you need XP Mode for Business Applications, NOT GAMES. It's a Virtual Version of XP that runs inside Win7. That is the only "Real" Difference.

Yeah slay is right, your gimping yourself with that antec 1000 psu. The corsair is much better, and stick with cheapest win7. Then the 960 a huge waste of money, how about you just throw $200 my way instead of that chip?:p

Seriously, you won't notice the difference AT ALL.

Secondly that soundcard is almost as big of a waste of money as the 960. Stick with mobo sound, you won't notice the difference. Then get this mobo Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards its better and more futureproof.

Thirdly, the antec 1200 is kinda old and there are much better cases out now, its also overpriced for what you get. Look at a HAF 932, or 690 II advanced, either is much better.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-587X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards that video card is exactly the same, just a difference cooler, and cheaper.

You also don't want wireless internet unless you have to. Wired is still much faster and more reliable, also cheaper.

If you've got enough left from those changes, look into a SSD. Pretty much the biggest upgrade you can make right now. It makes windows 7 instant, and its ridiculously awesome.

You think you're futureproofing, but you're actually gimping yourself. It is always much better to go with quality over quantity with pc parts.

EDIT: Ninja muffins!! we're all screwed now...

Just noticed that you have two video cards in the build you linked above: a 9800GT and a 5870. If you are going to buy two video cards, buy two of the same and crossfire/sli them. A single 5870 should be plenty to run most games on the market right now, and so to really futureproof, just get one of them (the one muffin linked) and in the future if you need more power, you can add another and crossfire them.

yeah. about the 9800gt, check these benchmarks.
Fudzilla - Nvidia helps the HD 5870 beat the GTX 285 in PhysX
i know PhysX gaming is few and far between, but the 9800gt's are so dirt cheap it doesn't really matter.
and this is one of the games i plan on playing.

and for the wifi card. sadly, this rig is destined for a remote room in the house to far away from the router to wire it. maybe in the future.

and i dont think SSD's have hit their price point yet, almost but not yet.

i did end up going with a corsair psu though, i currently have a 750 watt corsair and love it. but my current heap is going to a family member.

and the cpu is fine. i do not plan on overclocking and i dont really want to overclock. it seems hard to get a unbiased review of it without being tainted by someone saying the 920 can be better by pushing it past stock speeds.
and the price is right, i don't have a budget really.
the last time i upgraded cpu's 600MHz made a world of difference. 2.6-3.2 p4's aren't even comparable. but then again i suppose MHz isn't as dependent anymore.

the build is kinda screwed atm. the graphics card i was planning on went out of stock. even though the 1gb 5870 showed no deficits to the 2gb version except in metro 2033, its only 60 more dollars. but if the XFX comes back in stock by Wednesday next week its going to be that one.

and i cant remember the last time any of my rigs didnt have a dedicated sound card in them. its always just been the norm.

the last time i upgraded cpu's 600MHz made a world of difference. 2.6-3.2 p4's aren't even comparable. but then again i suppose MHz isn't as dependent anymore.

yea, nowadays it's just silly to compare cpus based on clock speed.

but hey, it's your money so... :p

if you're not going to OC, you might as well save your money and not get an aftermarket heatsink then, the stock cooler will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom