Screen turns off but computer still on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamska

Beta member
Hi, i have a strange problem with my friends computer and can't figure it out. As i said the Pc screen turns off but the pc still running.

I changed the power supply a couple of weeks ago but he told me that it happened again. I tested all the hardware and everything seems fine. Could it be the monitor? Because i left it for two days straight at my place and nothing happened! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Check the temperatures, especially if you smell something burning. The GPU could be shutting off due to heat. Stress Test it as much as you can. Intel Burn Test, and FurMark will bring the computer to it's knees with temperatures you normally wouldn't see, even while gaming. OCCT would be another great choice, to test the CPU.

*BE CAREFUL WITH THESE!!! THESE PROGRAMS COULD VERY WELL DESTROY YOUR COMPUTER IF THE TEMPERATURES GET TOO HOT.

OCCT

Intel Brun Test

FurMark

Hey thanks for the help, just found out that sometimes the graphics card fan doesn't start!

Hey thanks for the help, just found out that sometimes the graphics card fan doesn't start!

Yeah, overheating will definitely cause the problems you found. I suggest either an RMA of the graphics card (if it's not too old), a new card (if the budget allows), or an aftermarket GPU heatsink and fan. These can be had pretty cheap, even locally if you have a store around that has one and it supports your GPU. Best Buy carries some, but they're not the greatest, and provide limited support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom