Buying a Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I comPLETELY DISagree witH THat StaTEMent.

Do not disregard cooling, as that is what makes the difference between a computer that lasts and a computer that deep fries, especially at these speeds. Also, at this cost, the machine is not likely to have necessary fans. At best, I would guess that it will have a cheap alloy heatsink with a small fan and will rely on the power supply to remove the hot air. This is completely inadequate. You should have a fan in the lower front of the case for intake and a fan in the upper rear (near the processor) for out take. You may also wish to consider a drive bay cooler for your hard drive.

Yes, the RAM is nice to have. But necessary? Certainly not. Especially when you consider what this desktop will be used for.

In short, adding a 128mb stick of generic ram to your machine is prudent, but you may find it unnecessary.

Personally i think that if all ur doing is using the internet ,playing mp3's and word processing its a great deal for 500 especially with win xp and a 17inch monitor but seloce is right if u want it to last spend an extra 10-15 bucks get 2 nice fans if thier not in thier but ram isnt a neccesity if ur just doing casual computer stuff othen 2 strenuose on the comp. i say go for it if u were to build it urself ude probly only save a 100 bucks or so and u have to value ur own time to.

For what he is wanting to do, that sounds pefect for him... especially if you r on a budget... not everyone on here is a hard core gamer or video junkie.
As far as the cooling comment, its important if your building your own and you know what your going to be doing to it.
As far a prebuilt.. i wouldnt worry, cause they are under warranty for one and they put decent enough cooling for thos computers.
Just buy the computer... just dont buy a Emachines, then your ass will be in a ringer for sure.

Emachines = pissed off people thinking computers are evil

MicroBell said:
Doesn't mention a Graphics card...but since I see the shared video memory it's onboard as well. Thats a fair price..but Dell and Gateway offer simular setups. Really though it's up to you. Most people that are really into computers..build there own. I've owned a few Packard Bells..A Dell...and A Gateway.

But because there very limited on your upgrade options later on...I only build mine now. No store bought PC's. As your coming up from a 166mhz..it will be a big improvement for you. I've never owned an HP..so I can't speak to there quailty of componets they use..but any PC maker...will build a system...that uses cheapest componets..to make a higher profit. Except maybe AlienWare..then again,,they have no $400 computers..LOL :)

Never, ever, buy a computer from Dell, Compaq, HP, or Gateway. Either custom build one, or buy one from a PC retailer that sells them custom made.

The only gripe i have about HP is you have to have chopsticks for hands to remove cables/ Upgrade memory. But I will attest to them being solid machines.

Pallen

I work at Wal-Mart, (yes, Wal-Mart, <g>) and am using the machine of which you speak.

I got an even better deal on this one because a customer had returned it borked after attempting to install W98 over the XP OS! I simply ran the restore option and she's humming along good as new.

It doesn't come with much in the way of software but I've got a USB Zip drive to transfer my stuff. As soon as you get it configured the way you want create a restore point so you won't
have to start from square one if it, um ... dives on you.

I really didn't want XP but the kids ran my other machine with the fan off and welded the IDE cable to the system board! At this price at least I can use this one to see about fixing that one.

Send me an email @
Kydwyn@aol.com
if you need any further info.

Kydwyn

Yes and i cant stand it when some people (friends of mine from school) are like alienware is the best and is cheaper than dell when im like "building ur own computer" is still way cheaper than Alienware. Difference between alienware and a Dell: $300 - $400, Difference between building ur own comp and a Dell $2000 (in my case :p )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom