Need help upgrading my pc!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

oha055

Beta member
Hi,

So I'm upgrading my pc because newer games tend to have a bit of lag when I turn the graphics up to high/maximum. I'm aiming for games like MW2 and Bad Company 2 to run smoothly on maximum graphics.

MY current specs:

- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 (2.60GHz)
- GRAPHICS CARD: nVidia GeForce 9800GX2
- MOTHERBOARD: Asus M3N-HD/HDMI
- RAM: 5GB (DDR2)
- PSU: Chieftec 750w

So, my main question is: Which parts of my pc should I focus on when upgrading? I'm not sure about the graphics card, I think it's good an all, and expensive as **** when I first bought it, but it may be getting a bit old (about 2 years).

I'd be super happy if anyone with above average experience in the field could give me some clues to what I need to buy to make my pc _really_ good

PS.
I'm suspecting I should do something about the RAM because I think most of the bricks are pretty cheap, and they may not work well together (?). There are also 1GB and 2GB bricks mixed together, and I don't know if that's such a good idea.

Thanks!

Hi,

So I'm upgrading my pc because newer games tend to have a bit of lag when I turn the graphics up to high/maximum. I'm aiming for games like MW2 and Bad Company 2 to run smoothly on maximum graphics.

MY current specs:

- CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 (2.60GHz)
- GRAPHICS CARD: nVidia GeForce 9800GX2
- MOTHERBOARD: Asus M3N-HD/HDMI
- RAM: 5GB (DDR2)
- PSU: Chieftec 750w

So, my main question is: Which parts of my pc should I focus on when upgrading? I'm not sure about the graphics card, I think it's good an all, and expensive as **** when I first bought it, but it may be getting a bit old (about 2 years).

I'd be super happy if anyone with above average experience in the field could give me some clues to what I need to buy to make my pc _really_ good

PS.
I'm suspecting I should do something about the RAM because I think most of the bricks are pretty cheap, and they may not work well together (?). There are also 1GB and 2GB bricks mixed together, and I don't know if that's such a good idea.

Thanks!

whne upgrading or installing extra ram it should always be at the same size or higher capacity. and when you install the ram cards they should always be the same capacity as the other. so the first to slots mark A1 and B1 should have the same size and the slots A2 and B2 should be the same size as well.

and as far as a I can tell switching these slots out would solve your problem because i have 2 gigs of ram and a 2.0ghz processor and a single 880gts and i run full settings on both those games and have no lag what so ever.

hope this helps!

whne upgrading or installing extra ram it should always be at the same size or higher capacity. and when you install the ram cards they should always be the same capacity as the other. so the first to slots mark A1 and B1 should have the same size and the slots A2 and B2 should be the same size as well.

and as far as a I can tell switching these slots out would solve your problem because i have 2 gigs of ram and a 2.0ghz processor and a single 880gts and i run full settings on both those games and have no lag what so ever.

hope this helps!

Um not exactly... What you're describing is the dual channel memory, which phenom IIs use. Like having a divided highway, so yes its best to split your RAM evenly between the coloured slots on your mobo. So 2gb in each colour is ideal, not sure how you ended up with 5gb though? Either way it most likely won't effect your frame rates at all.

You should be able to run those games maxed pretty easily. Turn down the AA a bit, should solve framerate problems. For an upgrade, a 5850 or 5870 would be a solid choice. Since that 9800gx2 is more powerful then a 5770. I can run mw2 maxed with 40-50 fps on a 4850 soo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom