*Help* picking I5 components.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabak80

Baseband Member
So upgrading my rig from an old, old c2d.

Figured I would go with the Intel i5 750.

Will keep my case, video card(4830 for now), hard drive and power supply.

Not looking for the priciest parts, but not looking for cheap budget either. Uses include basic internet and MS Office, some graphic design (don't worry, my current rig can handle it) and some medium range gaming (L4D2, TF2). Looking for VALUE and QUALITY.

NOT looking for upgradeability. Will rebuild in a few years anyways.

I REALLY need help picking:

MOTHERBOARD: would like to stick with Gigabyte P55. Don't need anything that fancy, no dual gpus,etc. May be open to Asus if the price/value is right, but no other brand.

MEMORY: would like some fast reliable. 4 gb. Maybe cas 7 or 8.

Budget: got the processor already. Under $140-$150 for the mobo, under $140 for the memory.

Newegg links would work GREAT! I can budget shop by myself once I get the actual specs/items down.

THANKS!!!!!!

Stupid question...will a micro atx fit in a Sonata III case?

Also, maybe someone can suggest an Asus alternative for comparison?

I don't mind spending an extra $20 if I will get better performance from Gigabyte or Asus.

yes the sonata fits mATX and also eATX i think. The motherboard posted is fine for what you need, though if you can sacrifice some cash you could grab a p55a-ud3 which has added usb3/sata3 support but you probably wont need this, in which case the p55m-ud2 has heaps of I/O features for the price.

Thanks, but I was really looking to stick with Gigabyte or Asus. I think the board may be a little too high end for what I need.

Any thoughts:

"GA-P55-UD3R" or "GA-P55M-UD2"

These are my two main choices, thoughts? The UD3R would be open box, which I am comfortable with so it would be the same price as the UD2.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Open Box: GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD3R LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

Gigabyte has the worst RMA if something doesn't work correctly. EVGA has the Best RMA and Support.

An open box is something that has been returned and may very well be defective. Gigabyte + Open Box = Disaster.

gigabyte.jpg

I feel comfortable. I've bought both Asus and Gigabyte with no problems open box before.

Really need a suggestions between the two (or other gigabyte) boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom