Computer locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

redpit76

Beta member
Hey all,

Ok here is the deal. I'm going to school for web development but in now means am I a comp expert. I bought this comp to help run the programs I need to be a good developer. I have had the comp for about 2 weeks and it just starts locking up. It happens when the computer warms up to regular operating temp. I was told that it might be the RAM not in sync. Well I returned it and that was not it. Took out the GPU...not it. New hard drive...nope. Well three different operating systems later and having nothing but the minimum things necessary plugged in the same thing happens. I had 3 monitors hooked up and it would just freeze and one of the monitors would look weird or just go blank. So again just one monitor and just one usb connection for my key and mouse and ethernet clable...same stuff. Also I was told to flash the bios and not sure if I did it correctly but the same prob. PLEASE HELP!!!...lol Here are my specs....

Motherboard: Asus M4A78-EM
CPU: AMD AM2+ 940 Phenom II 3.0Ghz X4 Black Edition Quad Core Processor HDZ940XCGIBO CPU, 6MB Cache, 1800MHz (3600 MT/s)
CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS9900LED
Memory DDR2: 8GB DDR2 800Mhz (4x2GB) PC6400 Dual Channel RAM 240Pin Desktop Memory Low Density Non ECC, Un-Buffered
Power Supply: 650W Power Supply
Video Card: Power Color ATI Radeon HD4350 1GB DDR2 VGA, DVI, HDMI PCI-Express Video Graphics Card

If you or a friend has a power supply tester (or a spare power supply) you could check to make sure its providing stable power source. You mentioned that someone told you your ram may be out of sync. Is your ram sets of the same modules or from different manufacturers, ie 2x2gb from kingston 2x2gb from corsair. Because sometimes it takes a lot of tweaking to satisfy different types of modules.

It would also be advisable to monitor your temps to make sure your cooler is making proper contact with the cpu. Get realtemp Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring and check them. Temps should be under 40 idle and not over 60 when stressed as a guide.

Thanks for the toughs. The ram is all matched and I was told it was bench tested for 24 hours before it was shipped to me. There is no cooling issues with the cpu. as far as bench testing the power supply I may need a bit of help with that. It seams to be fine. It says its 700watts but in the true specs its rated at 570watts so that should be fine. Any other ideas please?
:umm:

Thanks for the toughs. The ram is all matched and I was told it was bench tested for 24 hours before it was shipped to me. There is no cooling issues with the cpu. as far as bench testing the power supply I may need a bit of help with that. It seams to be fine. It says its 700watts but in the true specs its rated at 570watts so that should be fine. Any other ideas please?
:umm:

i mean make sure that all your ram is secured down and then make sure that they are all the same size and that the first set of ram doesnt have a higher capacity then the second

Since your unsure whether you updated your bios correctly you should eliminate that as a problem. go here and get the latest update ASUSTeK Computer Inc.
the download should have a tool which will format a usb or floppy for you to boot from when you load up your computer. But it may be easier if you just download the windows flash tool which is in that download index aswel. this way you can just use the tool to select the bios downloaded file and it will flash in windows.

The best way to test your psu is get a friends or a spare and see if problem persists or grab a cheap psu tester which has LEDs to tell you if it is working correctly. It may also prove to remove all ram except the module closest to the cpu because it sounds like a ram problem, trying booting which a couple of different stick since one could be bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom