Mac LaCie HUB not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

helshanks

Solid State Member
I have a macbook and a G4, both of which used to run fine with My LaCie 300GB HUB, recently however, both have failed to show up on both the desktop and on any other area of either computer.

Additional info: I have a printer hooked up to the hub, and both computers print through it, it's just the hard drive in it I can't access.

The HUB used to show up, randomly, usually on reboot before it completely failed to show up.

the older G4 is running MAC OS X version 10.4.11

the Macbook is 10.6.3

neither computers work

HUB is fairly new.

NEW: Hard drive isn't spinning up! it turns on for not quite a second clicks, dies, and retries. Like it's stuck hitting something

Sounds like you hard disk is dead then.

If it's what I would describe as a 'click-clunking' noise then it is most likely that the heads have crashed on your hard disk.

It's possible that the power supply on the Lacie unit has failed and is not providing enough power to the hard disk so it can't spin up properly. We had a similar issue at work the other week with a Lacie drive where it appeared to be dead - we took the hard disk out of the Lacie box and put it in a generic external hard disk enclosure and the hard disk spun up so and we could retrieve all the data on it so there was clearly an issue with the Lacie enclosure in our case.

Just to cover everything. Does your hard drive run off USB power or have an external power supply. If it's purely powered by the USB socket, just plug it directly into the computer with no other USB devices and see if its detected. There is a possibility that it isn't getting enough power, so isn' spinning up properly and stopping.

Also try on another computer. If that fails as well then its probably a dead hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom