PC on 24/7??

Status
Not open for further replies.

self

Solid State Member
I have a 5 year old Dell now with a P4 @ 1.8ghz. No upgrades, no OCing, no cleaning, no special care of any sort. Just sits under my desk in a not-so-well ventilated area. I leave the computer on 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. I don't even put it into hibernation. Just turn off the monitor every night and go to bed. It's survived in these conditions ever since I got it. I'm about to upgrade to a new, high-end system and want to know how it would fare in the same conditions? The only significant change I see would be that it would be in a better ventilated area with a better cooling system and it will recieve regular cleaning. Can the high-end systems of today be left on indefinately? I wouldn't mind putting it into hibernation every night if I had to, but what do you think? Anyone out there who does this? Leaves their computer on ALL of the time?

Yeah I leave mine on almost 24/7. With xp before I close up for the night i just click the 'WinLogo key + L' and it will bring you to the user sign in screen, but keep you logged in. Then I turn off the monitor and I'm out. You really shouldn't have a problem, just as long as your fans dont all die out as once.

I dont want to be the odd ball, but I always turn my computer off at night. Although leaving your computer on does reduce the heat stress on the CPU it eats up hard drive hours. All i can say is make sure you have adequate cooling.

personally i turn it off every other day, because the nvidia 6800 eats the crap out of my power and electrical bill. plus since i OC, it reduces the life of my cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom