Alienware's Core i7-980X-infused Area-51 puts other rigs to shame

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelm3103

Fully Optimized
Alienware's Core i7-980X-infused Area-51 desktop gets reviewed, puts other rigs to shame

"Surely you recall that snazzy new Alienware Area-51 desktop that popped up last week with Intel's flashy Core i7-980X Extreme Edition within, right? The benchmarking gurus over at Hot Hardware have since put the stratospherically priced ($4,569 as tested) rig through its paces, and suffice it to say, there's hardly a machine on the planet that's faster than this rig today. Put simply, the test machine -- which was equipped with a pair of ATI Radeon HD 5970 cards -- bested every other gaming desktop they'd seen, with the only shortfall coming up in the HDD tests. Naturally, SSD-equipped rivals were a good bit faster there, but nothing's stopping you from swapping out those traditional platters and installing a bit of NAND yourself. Ah, why bother with the details -- if you're looking for "quite literally the fastest desktop PC on the earth," this can definitely be it with the right configuration. Hit that source link for the mind-boggling benchmarks and a hands-on video."

area-51-980x.jpg

Any one who would pay $5K for this machine is an idiot.

A single 120 rad cannot even begin to take advantage of a 980X a 920 would clock just as good.

That's not strictly true, I priced almost exactly the same parts and Alienware was only a tad dearer (this is including keyboard, speakers, mouse, monitor, the lot)... I think the exact figure was $300 - and when you take into account the 3 year warranty and an insurable computer - I think I'd rather take the Alienware... this is in Australian dollars, I don't know how expensive they are in the US

a 3 year warranty, I can Void that in an afternoon :D

And Soul is in Australia and according to him he can save a $1000 not $300.

a 3 year warranty, I can Void that in an afternoon

Nope, I already checked that, you ring them up and say "hey, I'm putting this part in" or "hey, I'm overclocking the CPU" and they say "alright" and as long as what you did doesn't cause the problem, warranty applies :D

I've been doing research, you can check the price yourself, just compare the aurora to prices from somewhere like umart for the same parts.

Nope, I already checked that, you ring them up and say "hey, I'm putting this part in" or "hey, I'm overclocking the CPU" and they say "alright" and as long as what you did doesn't cause the problem, warranty applies :D

I've been doing research, you can check the price yourself, just compare the aurora to prices from somewhere like umart for the same parts.

You obviously don't know me, I can Void any Warranty and I usually do. Proudly :D

Well lets just guesstimate a bit here, assuming AUS are a lets say just a bit more then CAD (before our stupid taxes of course).

i7 980x -$1300
mobo - $ 300
RAM - $ 200
GPUS - $1300
WC - $100 (its probably a modified H50 or something similar)
HDDs - $250
PSU -$200
Case - $200
blue-ray-$100
Win7 - $100
---------------------
$4050

So you've still got another $519 that is where? Course you could always save some money by going with a cheaper mobo, cheaper ram, cheaper case, cheaper hard, cheaper psu, little stuff like that, that really doesn't have a big impact on performance. Heck could even drop a 5970 and not notice the difference.

Alienware >< Build it yourself

Alienware = Waste of money

Thought I'd clear some stuff up. I have lots of free time tonight :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom