Please Help - Going Round in Circles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antares66

Solid State Member
I want to build a gaming PC for WoW. My budget is around £1200 including VAT and delivery. I know I want the ATi 2Gb 5970 but I am getting tied in knots looking at CPUs, cases, PSUs, DDR3 RAM etc. Can someone suggest a build (including 22" monitor) that will give me excellent fps in WoW and meet my budget please?

Do you need an OS? (i.e. Windows)
Do you want to re-use any parts from an older PC, or do you want everything new?

Btw, a 5970 is waaay over the top for WoW - you can max out WoW with a card a third of that price. Just so you know.

How good of a case are you after? Do you want something non-flashy which will just work, or do you something good-looking with good performance (i.e. well-designed and lots of fans)?
Scan has a great selection of cases, from £30 to £400, if you want to take a look through. All of those cases will work with whatever you get btw http://www.scan.co.uk/Shop/Computer-Hardware/All/Cases/High-Performance-Cases/High-Performance-Cases-Large

Hi

I need an OS and have no parts to re-use so everything new. I want a pretty good case but it doesn't have to be flashy. I'd like a decent PSU as well.

If you are right about the GC - which one would you recommend. I'd like not to have to do much to this for a couple of years if poss.

A 5870 is about half the price and should last you two or three years at least. Though you can always buy the 5970, and know it will max out every game which you may want to play for three years. Except Crysis 2, which is excluded because it's a CryTek game :p

Anyway, gimme 10-20 mins, and I'll edit this post with some links.

Btw, are you going to overclock the CPU at all? Would increase performance by quite a bit.

Okay here it is:
CPU Scan.co.uk: BX80605I5750 - Intel Core i5 750, Lynnfield 45nm, Quad Core, 2.66GHz, 8MB Cache, 95W, Retail

Mobo Scan.co.uk: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, Intel P55 Express, S1156, PCI-E 2.0(x16), DDR3 2200, SATA 3Gb/s, SATA RAID, ATX

RAM Scan.co.uk: CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 - 4GB (2x2GB) Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.65V

GPU Scan.co.uk: EAH5870/2DIS/1GD5 - 1GB Asus HD 5870, PCI-E 2.0, 4800MHz GDDR5, GPU 850MHz, 1600 Cores, DP/ 2x DL DVI-I/ HDMI

Now, this PSU will be able to power two 5870s potentially, and the motherboard supports having two as well - this means that if you ever DO need to upgrade the graphics in a couple years, you can, and more cheaply too (by buying another 5870).
PSU Scan.co.uk: 750W Corsair CMPSU-750TX, SLi, Single 12V Rail, Quiet & Cool 80%+ Eff

Went for 640GB since it seemed a reasonable size. You can go for 500GB for like a tenner less, if you like.
HDD https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/AddToBasket.aspx?WebProductId=1207864

Seems a decent case, I haven't used it myself but it should fit everything and cool it well too.
Case Scan.co.uk: Xclio Windtunnel Extreme V2 Cooling Black Tower case with 2 x 25cm VR Side Fans - w/o PSU

Fans (get two of them, since the case has two extra slots for 120mm fans) Scan.co.uk: 120mm Xigmatek XSF-F1251 eXTreme Ultra Performace Quiet Case Fan

Decent DVD drive, they're pretty much all the same so here's the cheapest.
DVD drive Scan.co.uk: Sony AD-5240S-0B 24x DVDR 12xDVDDL DVDRW x8/-RWx6 SATA Black

Windows 7, epic in a lot of things, especially gaming.
OS Scan.co.uk: GFC-00599 - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, Single, - OEM

Which brings that to a total of £991.25

Now, Scan is crap for monitors so it's best to get that from a site like eBuyer; I suggest this monitor, I have it and love it:
Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24" Monitor 1920x1080 2ms 70,000:1 (Dynamic) VGA/DVI/HDMI Glossy Black - 3yr Warranty - Ebuyer
It's £190, and with next-day delivery is about £200.

So the totals are, £991 + £200 = just under £1200

If you have any questions or want to change anything, feel free

Edit: Oops, made a second post. Kind works better that way, though.

Ah, both good additions - I would definitely say go for those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom