Hdmi to Vga Cable with Inspirion 1545

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kessel81

Beta member
Hello i would like to start off by saying i no nothing about technology other than using the internet. I recently purchased a VGA to HDMI cable which would allow me to see my labtop screen on my TV i know this is also the right cable because my uncle has the same labtop and same cable it works fine on his TV.

Now for the problem, it is i have no video when i plug it in. My TV is Sony Bravia KDL-52W4100. Please if you could help me figure this out i would glady appreciate if you need my Labtop specs just ask. Thanks and reply ASAP :)

I think i have to activate im not sure my labtop does have the options they are:

- Computer only
- Duplicate
- Extend
- Projector only

I dont know what those mean help me :)

Welcome to TF!

Does your laptop recognize the TV? Otherwise, there should be a FN key in the F# row that sets it from the Laptop screen to the TV (external source)

Did you set the TV to Hdmi?

VGA to HDMI? I am sorry but it just reminds me of usb to firewire...

They are two completely different, uncompatible signals. VGA is analog RGB and HDMI is digital... Its like comverting VGA to DVI-I... They may make the adapter, but that doesn't mean its going to work. Doesn't your tv have a vga port on the back? I know the W series has VGA but I cant recall if they put it in with the 5100 series or if it might be on the 4100 series. BTW VGA is signal compatible to the component inputs on the back of your sony, in otherwords, you can't convert VGA to HDMI or DVI-I, but you can convert VGA to Conponent :D

- Computer only
- Duplicate
- Extend
- Projector only

I dont know what those mean help me :)

Computer Only = only the laptop LCD
duplicate= same image on tv and laptop
extend=second monitor, eg: drag a window from the laptop to the tv
projector only=disable the laptop lCD and only enable the TV

No i didnt enable dont know how i heard its F5 tried but didnt work on mine.

Also VGA to Hdmi should work my uncle has same TV and cable works perfectly for him, he just plugs the VGA into his labtop and the Hdmi into his TV and he is able to see his Labtop on the TV maybe cause his labtop automatically regonicez it?

how do i enable the external output?

how do i enable the external output?
See MindoverMaster's post up there ^

VGA to HDMI? I am sorry but it just reminds me of usb to firewire...

They are two completely different, uncompatible signals. VGA is analog RGB and HDMI is digital... Its like comverting VGA to DVI-I... They may make the adapter, but that doesn't mean its going to work. Doesn't your tv have a vga port on the back? I know the W series has VGA but I cant recall if they put it in with the 5100 series or if it might be on the 4100 series. BTW VGA is signal compatible to the component inputs on the back of your sony, in otherwords, you can't convert VGA to HDMI or DVI-I, but you can convert VGA to Conponent :D

Um, that works fine. The adaptors adapt the signal from analog to digital, or vice-versa if you're doing DVI/HDMI to VGA. I used a DVI->VGA adaptor for about a year until I got my current monitor (used to have a CRT). I use a VGA to DVI adaptor at school for presentations and such because most of the monitors there only have DVI.

I think this is where it can get confusing.

VGA output provides analogue only output

DVI outputs provide both an analogue and digital video signal. This is why you can get a cable which converts DVI to VGA. (the cable just drops off the digital component by not connecting certain pins)

HDMI from my understanding is a digital only signal that can also carry audio (no use in this particular situation) and is very similar if not the same as the digital output of DVI.

So strictly speaking there isn't a cable that can run a signal from VGA to HDMI.

HOWEVER there are a number of electronic converters which can convert the analogue VGA signal to a digital signal. Most of the ones that I've seen either run off AC main power, or run off power supplied by a USB port. So I would assume that the OP is trying to use one of these as they have seen their uncle use a similar setup.

Now getting back to the original question. I assume that you are using a windows machine, and if the Fn F5 thing doesn't work, have a look at the display preferences in Control Panels. In their you should normally see options for it to detect the second display and how to configure it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom