Computer is fried

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmnspwr

Beta member
Well at least I think so. Let me start off by saying, I don't know very much about computers. The other day I go to turn on the computer. Computer turns on, but the red light that usually flickers is staying on. I hear this loud sound that is not coming out of the speakers, but out of the tower itself. It's hard to describe, it's not a high pitched sound, but more like a vibrating sound? Like I said, hard to describe. So I immediately hold down the power button to turn it off and it wouldn't. So I flip the switch on the surge protector. The next day, it turns on just fine without any weird noises. Red light is still on, but nothing pops up on the monitor. I still can only turn it off by flipping the switch on the surge protector.
Any and all help is much appreciated.

Welcome to TF! You don't need to know about computers, we just happen to. :)

That might have been a capacitor on the board that blew. Could also be your hard drive.

Open up your case and take a look at the motherboard, make sure nothing is burnt. Next, disconnect the hard drive, and try to boot up again.

Thanks for the help! I have no idea what I'm looking at when I open the case. What does the hard drive look like?

No problem.

Should look like this:

16837_hard-disk.gif

I don't think the problem is the Hard Drive.

Either the motherboard or the Power Supply in the PC would be my guess.

If either of those is the problem you'll be looking at buying new parts. How old is your PC?

If it is a vibrating sound, it may be the hard drive. Once he disconnects that, and still hears the vibration, we can scratch that out.

I would say the motherboard, if anything.

^yes, but the problem is that the PC doesn't turn on at all. The hard drive can't cause that kind of problem.

Also he said at the end of his post that there was no more weird noises, it just doesn't work.

Didn't he say that it still powers up, but no screen post? and he can't turn it off?

The board works, it's just not fully responsive.

If it's a vibrating noise then it could be your CD/DVD drive so disconnect the power cable from that and see if it boots up.

It's possible it's your power supply - if you remove the power supply connector from your motherboard and have a look at the connector to see if their are any burns marks on the plastic connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom