Help with building a gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I think I've settled on the i7 920 is there any spacific mobo i should get or just get a bundle that comes with the 920?

What kind of graphic cards should I be looking at?

Also is there any way to add more than 6GB of RAM?

you can find some good mobos from asus, evga and gigabyte.

gfx cards depend on what you can afford. probably like a 5870, a 5850 or 5770.

Also is there any way to add more than 6GB of RAM?

what do you mean, like just adding more ram? yea there is a way, just buy more ram and install it, lol. not complicated at all :p.

@ Farinha
I know. It's good I'm just looking at the other options and trying to learn more about the whole process. Sorry if I offended- you've been a great help.

@ Muffin
I worded it badly- how much RAM can i put in

I would rather not go cheap on the graphics card so can you list some of the higher end cards that support hi def gaming(and blu-ray if that even applies to the gfx card)?

There was one thing I wanted to ask you about the hard drive you posted
I have at least 300GB of music/movies already(not sure the exact number- maybe more). Do you think I should go for that 640GB or a full TB?

I've chosen the 640GB ta keep the build under your budget. If you have the money I would buy the WD Black 640GB for the OS, or a smaller one like 500GB, and buy the WD Green 1TB for data. The WD Green has less performance but consumes less energy, being ideal to store data.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Yea I already have windows 7 so I probible just use that money for the hard drive/drives.
How much space does the OP take up and why do I need a hd spacificly for it?

I usually take 100GB for the OS and programs and the rest for data. You don't necessarily need a HD for the OS and other for data but if you have a HD exclusive for the OS you'll have a better performance. For example if you're copying a large amount of data, say 4GB from a DVD to a pen, to the same disc as the OS the disc will be busy copying the data and when the OS tries to retrieve data from the disc for normal function, not everything the OS needs is loaded to the RAM, it will take more time. If you have a disk mainly for the OS and another one for data this problem won't happen because you have one disk exclusive for the OS and another for data.

If you're going to buy a disk for the OS and other for data then 320GB should be enough for data and programs but this is up to you, depends on how many programs/games you have installed at the same time.

Hope I have explained my self well. If you have any doubts feel free to ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom