4gb ram installed, 2.5 recognized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ramz.jpg

This is what it shows..

And Windows shows this..

winramt.jpg

K so it's picking up 4gb but windows is only showing 2.5gb. This is strange.

On the other hand, windows shows my gtx 260 has having like 2.7gb of RAM when it doesn't..I think there are a few bugs with displaying memory amounts correctly in windows.

What does the task manager have for amount of resources?

And where'd you get your win 7?

Task manager shows 46% memory usage with just chrome open.. I got my copy of windows at Best Buy, but I don't think purchase location has anything to do with why it's only displaying 2.5gb of ram.

Task manager shows 46% memory usage with just chrome open.. I got my copy of windows at Best Buy, but I don't think purchase location has anything to do with why it's only displaying 2.5gb of ram.

I think he was just questioning it to find out if you had a legal copy or not. Pirated versions are usually really iffy about stuff. (he was accusing you or anything..just like a doctor, they have to know what you've been doing in order to be accurate).

How many slots do you have on your mother board? I tried each stick 1 at a time so they obviously work. But maybe it's just the slot the second stick is in is bad.

I think he was just questioning it to find out if you had a legal copy or not. Pirated versions are usually really iffy about stuff. (he was accusing you or anything..just like a doctor, they have to know what you've been doing in order to be accurate).

How many slots do you have on your mother board? I tried each stick 1 at a time so they obviously work. But maybe it's just the slot the second stick is in is bad.

2 slots. Haven't tried each slot separate when I last tried 1 stick at a time I was only popping it in and out of 1 slot. I'll try the other slot 1 at a time and see what the results are and repost them in a bit..

Yha, just ensuring we have a decent starting base as this is a real mystery. Even some purchased OS's might have been "played with" if it didn't come from a reputable place.

As for task manager, whats the total physical memory in the resource tab? My 4G shows as 4092mb. Yous should be too.

2 slots. Haven't tried each slot separate when I last tried 1 stick at a time I was only popping it in and out of 1 slot. I'll try the other slot 1 at a time and see what the results are and repost them in a bit..

Yes, do this and tell us the results. If it comes back that each stick isn't showing full memory it's probably a bad slot.

You might want to take a few minutes to read up on this:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- p5vd2-vm-se and 4gb not recognized

Appears as if (per the conversation below) the manual and specs were incorrect on the board.

Conversation with an ASUS Tech:
Chad Ricker> How can I help you?
Me> Yes, I just purchased 2x2gb of RAM
Me> and installed to my Asus P5VD2-VM SE Motherboard
Me> which said it supported 4gb
Me> ram
Me> BIOS is only showing 2.5gb
Me> RAM has been tested, each is 2gb
Me> There is no memory remapping feature
Me> in BIOS
Me> How can I use 4gb of RAM with this board?
Me> I have searched the internet and it seems many have this problem and no one has an answer. This board claims to support 4gb, can you tell me how?
Chad Ricker> The chipset on that board was limited to 3GB, although the manual says 4.
Chad Ricker> .5 was taken to accelerate the integrated graphics.
Me> can i disable the integrated graphics card as I have my own card
Chad Ricker> Yes.
Me> so I can at least get 3gb
Me> How do I do that?
Chad Ricker> You can find that in your manual.

the one thing i came up with was dual channel, a option to switch it on or off ect but i came across this on asus (if it helps any)

and sorry kind of a noob when it comes to HW trouble shooting

Due to the chipset's limitation, the system allocates a certain amount of memory for devices; hence, the actual memory size is less than the total size of physical memory installed.

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom