Building server for HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.
What orihS is getting at is that you don't NEED to do it that way. You can ALSO forget about the external/network storage and just store everything on the HTPC.

I want to make HTPC as small as possible, make it like an appliance, not a PC. Plan to hide it behind my TV, maybe similar to this:
SUGGED Blog Archive Mini-ITX (M350) Media Center Build

I also I want it to be really quiet and fan less. So no one would see it, no one would hear it.

So I want Server to do most of the things. (I also might use it as torrent box, like my web-server)..

Do you think this motherboard will work for Server? (I am interested in it because it use Atom CPU, and use less power)
Newegg.com - ECS 945GCD-M(1.0) Intel Atom 330 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo

A really popular choice for HTPCs are Mac Minis. They're tiny but have enough oompf to stream hi-def movies. They also have 5.1 optical out and lots of USB ports to plug in external storage.
They're also not THAT expensive, well worth the end result IMO.

Do you think this motherboard will work for Server? (I am interested in it because it use Atom CPU, and use less power)
Newegg.com - ECS 945GCD-M(1.0) Intel Atom 330 Intel 945GC Micro ATX Motherboard/CPU Combo - Motherboard / CPU / VGA Combo

Atom isn't a bad idea although it will take a very long time for any power savings to pay for themselves and I would steer clear of ECS. Before buying anything though, it is important to nail down a few details such as the role(s) of the server and what you need out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom