tips on my first build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B33PZ

Beta member
Hey guys, I am new and this is my first ever build. can you guys give me some tips?

motherboard:
either this one
ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 AMD Motherboard - Retail
or this..
GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard w/ USB 3.0 & SATA 6 Gb/s - Retail

Processor: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

Video card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 5830 100297SR Video Card Call of Duty (COD) Edition w/ ATI Eyefinity

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory - Retail

Power Supply: Newegg.com - Rosewill Green Series RG530-S12 530W Continuous @40°C, 80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies

Case: Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EARS 1TB 5400 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Am I missing anything? Or do you guys have any tips or suggestions? This is my first time so I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, I am just seeing what parts to buy.

well, you can't use the asus 890gx mobo because it has the wrong socket. that asus mobo is socket am3 for amd cpus, the i5 750 uses socket 1156 from intel.

that gigabyte mobo looks nice though, so if you can afford it, stick with it.

get this gfx card/psu combo instead
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
it would actually save you like $5, but this 5830 is from xfx so it comes with a double lifetime warranty and this combo includes a better xfx 650w psu.

get this caviar black drive instead
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
it is a faster hdd and should only be a few bucks more.

thanks! how good would the computer be after i replace the parts with the ones you mentioned? Oh and i dont have to buy any fans right?

Case will come with fans, and the processor with a heatsink/fan.

IMO you should get a better power supply, rosewill's are kinda cheap.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies

Either of those would be good, corsair is probably best you brand you can buy, but if you plan on adding a second card then the OCZ would be a better choice.

I'd also recomend this XFX card over sapphire, just for the lifetime warranty and free AvP, which is a decent game. Newegg.com - XFX HD-583X-ZNFV Radeon HD 5830 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Yeah that's a good combo, XFX makes good PSUs and great cards.

You won't need any thermal paste if you're sticking with the stock heatsink.

i've decided to get this combo
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!
it has the xfx card u mentioned and an xfx power supply what do u think?

edit: oh and do i need anything else? i read about some thermal compound? i dont know what that is..

yes, that combo is good.

no you won't need anything else.

what is thermal compound/grease/paste?

like dirkpitt said, if you're using the stock heatsink that the cpu comes with, you won't need any because it already comes with a pre-applied layer.

if you get an aftermarket heatsink though, you should get additional thermal paste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom