constant freezing and shutting down

Status
Not open for further replies.

ollithemagicbum

In Runtime
i'd say this started happening when i installed the 10.3 catalyst drivers. it used to happen when i would render movies with sony vegas, but now it happens the most when i play games for probably an hour or less. i uninstalled the drivers and am currently using the drivers that came on the disc with my 5770. it still shuts down. when it would freeze, there would be a fast sound loop until i restarted the pc. so i got rid of what i thought would be defected ram. the last time it froze, there was no sound looping, it was like it locked up. i don't know what could be causing this so i hope you guys could help. and it isn't overheating.

my computer is almost two years old. i replaced everything except one hdd, the mobo and cpu. i have an asus p5n-e sli mobo, e8400 at stock speed, 2 320 gb hdds, a 5770, 2 gb of ocz ram, sound blaster audigy card and this power supply.

i don't think it's my power supply because it's been perfectly fine since last december when i got my 5770. are there any kind of tests i can run to help me figure out my problem?

If this issue started happening after the catalyst drivers, then I think its more than likely caused by software (even if you're tried uninstalling). If you've got a spare hard disc lying around. Try a clean reinstall on that hard drive of just the OS and see if you can recreate the issue. If the same issue occurs, then I'd be running some more hardware diagnostics. If it doesn't the update to the catalyst drivers probably did something weird to your OS which is still lingering even though you've changed drivers.

i think i found the source of the random shutting down. i checked my cpu temps at idle and they were in the high 80's. i forgot that i hadn't cleaned out the dust in my pc, once i cleaned it all out there weren't any more shut downs.

now i'm just getting the fast sound loop crash. does anyone know what i mean by that? about a year ago someone said it could be defected ram, but now i am only using new ram and it is still happening. a fresh reinstall of my OS will be the last thing i wanna do.

That's a bit strange. I wouldn't expect a bit of dust to cause this issue, unless it's a huge build up of dust.

Is the audio sound coming on as soon as the computer starts up? Or just after an hour or so of gaming? And if you restart it straight away, do you get the audio loop again, or do you get another hour or so of normal behaviour?

If you want to pursue the memory issue. You might be able to download a run memtestx86. I've seen this recommended on other threads and it appears to be a windows based memory checker.

You can also check out this link which is some tips on micrsoft including how to use one of their tools to test memory.

well the dust has been building up on my cpu for almost a year, so that could be why it was shutting down. my cpu temps are now 20C lower.

for the sound loop crash, it can happen while i'm just browsing the internet or gaming. it can happen an hour after i get on or a few hours later. my ram is installed fine, i don't hear beeping or anything and i see the correct amount installed. i'll give memtest a try.

Your cpu temps at an idle were in the high 80'sC and are now 20C cooler or in the high 60'sC. That means your still overheating. The E8400 should have a temp in the high 30's to low 40's at an idle. At Full Load you should be in the 50's.

well that ain't good :doh: i have a stock fan and it is almost 2 years old and my room is the hottest in the house. does that matter?

edit: whenever i restart my pc, i'm pretty sure the hdd that my OS is installe, has trouble starting up for a couple seconds. i hear it trying to spin for a couple minutes before working. could my problem be related to that?

The hard drive could "also" be part of the problem. But your cpu overheating is the "main" problem. Take the side panel off of the PC exposing the working parts. Then set a house fan next to the PC pointing directly into it, turn the fan on. Download Hardware Monitor, start it up and post a screenshot. It will show us the Temperatures, Voltages, Fan Speeds, etc... It may even show us the Hard Drive temperatures if it's new enough to have sensors.

HW Monitor

w7csia.jpg

i have no working fans right now, but this is everything with my case closed. the hitachi hdd is the one that came with my pc, and the WD hdd is the one i bought later.

Your cpu is screaming hot, so is your hard drive. Your video card is also running hot but it's not as "overly" hot as the cpu.

Take the side panel off even if you don't have a fan to use. It will help cool it off somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom