Please recommend a netbook.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of James

Solid State Member
sup yall. i need some recommendations for a netbook. ive finally decided to get one, but now that ive decided.....there are a bazillion choices.

you guys helped me out with a pc b4, and i hope that you would be so kind to help me out w/ this.

thanks in advance.

p.s.: two "deals" that i think i may have come across would be this:

1. Sam's Club - Dell Inspiron 1012 Netbook 1.6GHz, 160GB, 10.1"

i just think the battery life is too little (3 cell) , but processor is bigger (n450). hdd is average (160)

2. Acer Aspire One AOD250-1584 LU.S680D.081 Netbook - Intel Atom N280 1.66GHz, 1GB DDR2, 250GB HDD, 10.1" WSVGA, Windows 7 Starter, Bluetooth, 6-Cell, Blue at TigerDirect.com

the processor is smaller on this (n280), but the hdd is larger (250). and battery life is more (6 cell).

and in all honesty, besides the battery life, i have no real clue the difference its going to make in the long run with the other two specs i mentioned.

Netbooks, performance wise... Pretty much all suck.
So battery life is the only thing I would really worry about.
Also I personally would pick one with an SSD instead of a HDD, but that's because I like to be able to toss my stuff around and not worry about head crashes.

I would go for the one with the higher battery life.

thank you 4 your reply.

i thought the bigger battery would be better (thats almost a tongue-twister). so your reply leads to my next question:

for the price (299.99) is there a better model in your opinion (or anyone elses) than the acer listed above?

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1793065 said:
Also I personally would pick one with an SSD instead of a HDD, but that's because I like to be able to toss my stuff around and not worry about head crashes.

thanks 4 your reply.

what do you mean by that?

Newegg.com - Gateway LT Series LT2108u Cherry Red Intel Atom N450(1.66GHz) 10.1" WSVGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

$260
Better than both of the ones you posted spec wise.

Also here's two more suggestions.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115718

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834101208

EDIT: Head crash
V
Oh, if you toss around a conventional hard drive the needle can crash into the disk causing damage, that's called a head crash.

It doesn't happen with SSD's.

I wouldn't go with any netbook that comes with a SSD. Most manufacturers use the absolute worst SSDs available which have miserable performance and questionable longevity. If you want a SSD you really need to buy a good one separately and install it yourself.

This Acer ultraportable is considerably faster than any Atom powered netbook but still offers exceptional battery life in a small and affordable package

Newegg.com - Acer Aspire AS1410-2920 Diamond Black Intel Celeron SU2300(1.2GHz) 11.6" 2GB Memory 250GB HDD Netbook - Netbooks

i had a asus eee 901 SSd. i had to upgrade the 4gb ssd within a week. windows XP needed
4gb. but after the 4gb was formatted you end up with 3.74GB. XP would not work after the netbook started updating. i had to spend $100.00 for a 32GB ssd. alot of the earlier netbooks with SSD had a 4 GB primary and 8GB or 16GB ssd as a secondary.

i now have a acer aspire one with N280 cpu and windows 7 starter with a 160GB harddrive. it works fine for internet surfing, emails and simple tasks. this is what i bought it for. its great for traveling . if the room has a room safe, it will fit in. 6 cell batttery will last a good 4 hours.
i bought a usb sound drive for better music quality.

my recommendation. you want the N280 or newer N450 CPU, Windows 7 sttarter,
6 cell battery, minimal 10.1 screen. dont go smaller. my 8.9 starter to really bother me after an hour or two.
make sure you can upgrade the memory to 2 GB. Kingston seems to work on all the netbooks without any issues. some of the other brands dont work. you will get a black screen. i dont think the dells can be upgraded.
alot of the netbooks have a boot booster. you must turn off the boot booster before installing the memory or you may get a black screen.

I don't know if this would help you, but I have a Acer Aspire One AOA150-1006 8.9-Inch. It's over a year old now and still kicking. I bought it to replace my old laptop (which broke) and surprisingly it's been able to handle all my needs for now.

I highly recommend Acer netbooks, I think they are great; however here are some things that I noticed about my netbook that could be improved. You should check the netbooks you're buying for any of these minor issues.

Don't know if Acer has fixed these problems but:
1.) Web surfing is considerably slower when my netbook isn't plugged in. My guess is that the battery power isn't strong enough, so not enough power is going to the wifi antenna.

2.) Some ppl have complained about a sharp tinny, whining sound the fan makes. Apparently, some netbooks have annoying sounding fans.

And get at least a 10.1 screen like baih777 said. After getting my netbook, I ended up buying a monitor ; I felt so limited with a small screen.

I use a Lenovo Ideapad s10e

Great battery life, great wifi range, great functionality all round. As Puddle Jumper and orihS Shiro said though, it's worth upgrading the HDD to an SSD model. Much faster and you can carry/throw/use it without worrying about not bumping it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom