Computer freezes- losing display

Status
Not open for further replies.

yakirsudry

Beta member
Hi
Lately, when I play computer games my computer freezes.
when it happens- The sound keep repeating the last sound it was making (like some annoying sound), the display goes black, and after a second it says "no signal" (like I have disconnected it from the computer) and there is no response from the computer (even the numlock doesn't respond).
It happens only when I play computer games.
it's most frequent when playing crysis-warhead but it happens in other games too, so I have tried to update my display driver- didn't help.
any ideas?
any ideas what can I do to check what is the cause? (maybe temperature of the CPU/ video card because of the game?)

thanx

realtemp for cpu and gpuz for graphics card.

I would say overheating is the most probable cause at the moment.

Hi
Eventually I have decided to open my PC.
This was a disaster.
I have never seen so much dust in a computer before. (although it's only 18 months old).
I have cleaned as much as I could and noticed that 2 fans are not working- the one at the back of the case and the one on the GPU.
Both are stuck and need a lot of to spin.
I guess some dust stuck into them.
I guess this is the problem.
when testing the temp of the GPU using GPUZ I got 75C and after playing crysis for 5 minutes I got 90C.
I know it's very high, but what is the normal GPU temperature ?
Any suggestions beside replacing the video card and case fan?

Get some compressed air and blow them out good. If you are lucky that will solve the problem. If not you will need to replace the case fan. You could either replace the cooler on the card or replace the card itself if the air doesn't work.

What card do you have?

I got Nvidia 9500gt.
I have tried to blow air on it... didn't work.

On the card fan it's written- qleadtek and "winFast"- which fan is it?

Can I replace it without replacing the whole card?

If I were you I would just find any ol' fan, find some screws that would fit (and hold it snugly in place by screwing in to the heatsink itself) and mount it on there cheap-o style. This would at least give you a little more life out of the card before it dies completely.

I am sure that some others will disagree strongly with my method, but I am an oldschool tweaker and modder. I do things so that they work, not so that they look pretty. Even if you can get a cheap 80mm or 90mm fan from Best Buy or something and stick it near the video card some way, it would be better than letting it burn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom