HDD space issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because you have SP2 installed now does not mean that the disk you were using to do the format, or the disk you used to install had it at the time. You could have easily installed SP2 after you installed the OS which could explain why you didnt get full use of the drive.

XP X64 did not come by default with SP2. I can verify this cause I see that Microsoft doesnt offer XP X64 with integrated SP on MSDN or TechNET. Considering that they have such things as far back as Windows 3.11 and DOS. I would think that they would have XP X64 integrated when they have old versions of XP without SP1 and with every SP since.

I did read your response, but I also know such things as the fact that XP X64 doesnt come with SP2 integrated to say that using the XP CD is what caused this.

The original problem was a bum disk.

Mak is correct in what he has said so arguing against it is a waste of space... a quick format is useless and causes more problems than anything it solves. Having been a computer guy for quite some time (both Mak and I, actually) I have seen a quick format actually screw a disk up to the point that any OS installed would be too unstable to run... and a good bit of the storage capacity would be inaccessible.

Trying to argue with the people who are trying to help you is not a good way to win friends or influence people... or get the help you need.

If you read my response, since you say reading is so important and you neglected the very first thing i stated, just because you HAVE SP2 installed NOW doesnt mean that SP2 is on your CD.

You are blaming something that has NOTHING to do with your issue. If a quick format with the Windows CD works, then by all means a full format should! That is the whole point i am trying to make. But you would rather argue semantics and what not.

Congrats you found a XP X64 SP2 disk! Congrats to you. But just 1 issue. That is a OEM system builders disk. That is not meant for the general population, that is meant for companies. But you already know that knowing the difference between OEM and Retail disks. So finding something that is technically not supposed to be used for home use, as per the NewEgg disclaimer and per Microsoft OEM Terms of Use, that shouldnt be on the desk of anyone sitting here reading this.

If you click the Specifications Tab you will see this as the very first thing:

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

But i am getting off target. The fact of the matter is that simply put, a quick format is junk. It shouldnt be done. After 15+ years and several years recognized by the company that makes the software your using, i do have a bit of a clue of what i am saying. I tried to provide you with a better alternative on how to accomplish what you want in a manner that is much better suited for the operation of the system. Doing a quick format can, does and in your case will eventually lead to issues. I am trying to help you avoid such issues. But you do not wish to see it that way and think that i know nothing or cant read.

Sorry to inconvience you with some truths that you will most likely disregard anyways. But i think that it should be known that XP X64 with SP2 is not generally available to the public. OEM and for sale on sites like NewEgg is not the same thing as you cant get a copy of that disk from Microsoft sitting in your house unless you are a Certified OEM Partner.

Trotter,
Well, seeing as how every time I did a full format I was unable to use almost 900 GB of space, I figured that it was a risk worth taking. I already knew that quick format is not preferable, but given no other option (including any from this forum that I hadn't already tried), I decided it was worth a shot.

Mak, you had originally stated that XP64 Pro did not come with SP2 by default. While that is true, it is also true that there are XP64 Pro with SP2 available (and yes, I understand that it wasn't designed for the general public...but I have my own reasons for getting it). Also, I've seen people with a great deal of experience and certification with various operating systems (even some with such in specific OSs) get things wrong sometimes. While your views on quick format are not entirely invalid, they do not mean that it isn't useful at some points.

The original problem probably wasn't a bum disk as the first 2TB I installed had this problem, and because I couldn't find anything to help I sent it back to TigerDirect (as it was just a couple weeks old). I then ordered a new one, and the same thing happened to that one when I full formatted it. However, I tried a full wipe with a HDDGuru's Wipe Tool and a quick format and now it works fine...so I'm sure that if I had done it to the last one, I wouldn't have had to return it. Now while it's not recommended by many (including myself and every other PC tech I know), the wipe and quick format did the job I needed it to do, and there's currently no problems with the system. Thank you all for your advice, and I'm sorry that none of it was really all that useful to me, except to help narrow down a fix.

i started reading that little arguement, then got bored...

my 64bit xp disc has no SPs.

anyway, not to steal the thread, but when i reinstall windows for customers, i always do the quick format. i've only been doing this for a year and i'm sure you have seen quite a few things i haven't, so can you tell me what types of things can happen with the quick format?

A quick format does not scrub the disk which can leave behind just enough garbage to screw up whatever is written over it. Using a tool like GParted will perform a true format and properly prepare the disk. Honestly, MS would do well to pull their collective heads out of their anal cavity and see what actually works well in the real world and incorporate it (or something like it) into their stuff.

@lagurash, my point was to stop arguing a moot point. Unless something is very wrong with your installation a full format should be just as recognizable as a quick one. If it is not then you probably need a third party program to expand your partition (as XP does not have the proper tools to do so).

Arguing does not do good things for you or anyone else. Personally I am more than tired of it... and that's speaking to the population of the forums in general.

so with the quick format, is your concern corruption of new data written or maybe recovery of old data?

***correction; my XP x64 is SP1.

Think of your hard drive as a countertop. The countertop is filthy and covered in germs. You can take your chances swiping at it with a damp rag, or you can clean it with a anti-bacterial cleanser... your choice. Either way you will be preparing food and eating on it.

A quick format just gives it a quick swipe but doesn't actually erase the drive (why it is so quick). A full format actually erases the drive and re-does the formatting of it (hence "full format"). Windows versions of these are not very good, so a third party solution is much preferable, such as GParted.

So, in answer to your question, yes on both counts. Writing over old data is not the best solution, especially when installing the OS. What was there before can cause corruption. Add to that the fact that the old data can still be pulled from the drive and you have a good shot at a real mess.

wow, i knew data could be easily pulled off but i didn't think that it could corrupt new data.
eh, you learn something new everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom