Just Re-installed fresh copy windows xp-what drivers should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allstarhunk69

Solid State Member
Hello,

I was having numerous issues with my desktop pc so I decided I would blow everything off and just reinstall Windows XP pro. I am curious as to what drivers I should install if any, and where to find them? All I installed was the windows cd. I currently have an nvidia (not sure which model-will have to pop this bad boy open to find it I am sure) video card and not too much else special on here (I do have a cd burner that I will have to find drivers for too most likely).

Are there drivers besides those 2 that I should be installing or that you reccommend? I am so clueless when it comes to this stuff, figured I would ask the people in the know. As far as audio goes, my speakers died a year ago so I was using just a plain pair of usb headphones, but they apparently crapped the bed this morning. I then tried plugging my iphone headphones into the back panel (the front never worked) audio jack and for some strange reason, it is not working at all-I do not think my comp is detecting anything back there-dunno if that means I need a particular driver (or even what the **** a driver actually is haha).

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

Hello,

I was having numerous issues with my desktop pc so I decided I would blow everything off and just reinstall Windows XP pro. I am curious as to what drivers I should install if any, and where to find them? All I installed was the windows cd. I currently have an nvidia (not sure which model-will have to pop this bad boy open to find it I am sure) video card and not too much else special on here (I do have a cd burner that I will have to find drivers for too most likely).

Are there drivers besides those 2 that I should be installing or that you reccommend? I am so clueless when it comes to this stuff, figured I would ask the people in the know. As far as audio goes, my speakers died a year ago so I was using just a plain pair of usb headphones, but they apparently crapped the bed this morning. I then tried plugging my iphone headphones into the back panel (the front never worked) audio jack and for some strange reason, it is not working at all-I do not think my comp is detecting anything back there-dunno if that means I need a particular driver (or even what the **** a driver actually is haha).

Any help would be most gratefully appreciated.

it sounds like you need audio drivers.

right click my computer and select manage.
in the left pane you should see "device manager". select that and a list of devices will show up in the right pane. if it's got a red or yellow mark next to it, you'll want to install drivers for it.

Ok I followed your advice-and 3 things came up with yellow:
Ethernet Controller
PCI Device
Video Controller

No idea what any of this means, I then tried right clicking and hitting Update Driver and had it search for the software but it said that nothing was found.

Now what?

You will need these drivers at a minimum:
video
audio
LAN
Chipset

Your PC will still likely function, but you will have much better performance with those installed.

It is custom made-its like 5 years old now, my mother should stil have a list of the specs stored away somewhere. Is there a way to find out what I need with regards to:
video
audio
LAN
Chipset

I thought I replied but maybe it did not stick.

First and foremost thank you for taking the time, on a weekend, and a holiday, to help me with this, I am very grateful.

One thing to note is that I did not see anything for sound in this report-perhaps thats part of my sound issue? I tried plugging my iphone headphones in the back panel again and still it is not working-I do not think it is detecting anything there.

Another note-I know my comp is a bit obsolete-I do plan on getting another once I finish college-or maybe even once I finish undergrad (what a nice present that would be-hint to parents) but in all actuality, however archaic it may seem, it games just fine tbh.

I could not find the specific things you asked for so I am making a shortened list of where it could possibly be to make it easier for you:

Mother Circuit Board
Board: Intel Corporation D915GAG AAC89289-100
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: Intel Corp. EV91510A.86A.0444.2005.0429.2108 04/29/2005

Drives:
80.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
67.27 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SH-152A
TSSTcorp CDW/DVD TS-H492A [CD-ROM drive]
YLKX KHAN0LIVW SCSI CdRom Device [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD800JD-60LUA0 [Hard drive] (80.02 GB) -- drive 0, SMART Status: Healthy

Display
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (Microsoft Corporation) [Display adapter]
Acer AL1715 [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n ETL2102105, May 2005)

Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
Intel(R) 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (2x)

Bus Adapters
AYDGLTEL IDE Controller
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2658
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 2659
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265A
Intel(R) 82801FB/FBM USB Universal Host Controller - 265B