Newly built computer, buzzing / crackling sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

akasixcon

This is sparta!
So I built my first computer! What an experience!

For those interested in what parts I bought, the link is here

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/step-step-z-assembling-computer-ground-up-228036/

I have ran into a problem. It seems like there is a buzzing / cracking noise in my computer. At first I thought it was my friend's mic in Ventrilo but then he was off and the sound was still there. It becomes more apparent when I turn on a game like Warcraft III (for DotA) and the buzzing / crackling noise is there. Even while playing Starcraft 2, that same noise is there.

To prove that that noise is not in-game or that its a speaker problem; I verified by playing both SC2 and WC3 and it still emits this noise. I tried using headphones, speakers and such and it still has it.

I plugged in and out my HD Audio. Should I start using th AC 97? My computer MB says its HD Audio so I plugged in that as it says in my motherboard that I only need to plug in one or the other.

This is my motherboard right here
Newegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Rest of my parts:

CPU: Core i7 - 920 2.66
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

RAM: 6GB (3x2gb)
Newegg.com - CORSAIR 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model VS2GB1333D3 G - Desktop Memory

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long life sleeve CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Video Card: Crossfire Radeon 4850 512MB
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100245HDMI Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Harddrive: 640GB Western Digital
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Motherboard: ASROCK x58 Extreme 1366
Newegg.com - ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Power Supply: 750W Corsair
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

Case: Antec 900
Newegg.com - Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Thermal Paste: Artic Silver 5
Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

That should have nothing to do with it. Try to clarify where the sound is coming from. Could be anything

It could be the fan off balance, I could be the hdd not securely fastened, or hdd crackling, whic is very bad.

The sound is coming from the speakers. I assure you.

I have tried my headphones and my speaker and it does that. It is NOT the fan.

The reason being is that while on my desktop everything is fine.

When I tab into my video game, it starts buzzing.

Its not just for 1 game, its for any of the games I play.

I even muted my in-game settings by setting all the volume in-game to 0.

It seems to be only happening when I tab into Warcraft 3 or Starcraft 2.

Then when I tab back out right now its fine, I can listen to youtube fine.

If the speakers are making a buzzing/crackling sound even when the computer volume is muted then it sounds like some kind of EMI problem. If your using the motherboard onboard sound, have you installed the proper drivers?

If the speakers are making a buzzing/crackling sound even when the computer volume is muted then it sounds like some kind of EMI problem. If your using the motherboard onboard sound, have you installed the proper drivers?

I connected my speakers in the back of my computer (directly to the motherboard) and it seems to be working fine.

the problem arises when I connect the speakers to the front-panel in my computer. It makes that buzzing noise.

Any idea on how to fix it? it would be nice if I could attach headphones/speakers in the front side without having to reach over all the way in the back.

It sounds like interference. Does you front port wires have a covering of some sort, or are they just wires, like your power/reset/light wires?

For your information, you can plug the speakers in the back and leave it there. When you insert a device to the front sound port, it will automatically mute the back sound output.

I looked at the mobo, and is the panel connectors right above the psu?

You could be getting interference by the psu, and the gpu, as the cables run right by the gpu. With a card outputing full power, you could be leaking alot.

Try rerouting the output cables, get some extensions maybe, only a few bucks and run them away from the card.

Also check for any damage up where the cables come back into the inside. My 900 is pretty sharp edged.

It sounds like interference. Does you front port wires have a covering of some sort, or are they just wires, like your power/reset/light wires?

For your information, you can plug the speakers in the back and leave it there. When you insert a device to the front sound port, it will automatically mute the back sound output.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean if the front port wires have a covering. All i know is that its a bunch of wires "grouped" together into one plastic socket that I can insert into the "HD AUDIO" in my motherboard. Again let me clarify, on my front panel it has two audio connections "HD Audio" and "AC 97" and in the [ case manual ] it tells me to connect only one of those 2 choices. In the [ motherboard manual ] it says the audio connection is "HD Audio" hence I connected the front panel's "HD AUDIO" into the motherboard.

I looked at the mobo, and is the panel connectors right above the psu?

You could be getting interference by the psu, and the gpu, as the cables run right by the gpu. With a card outputing full power, you could be leaking alot.

Try rerouting the output cables, get some extensions maybe, only a few bucks and run them away from the card.

Also check for any damage up where the cables come back into the inside. My 900 is pretty sharp edged.

What do you mean with a card outputting full power? Like if my graphics card is outputting at full power so whenever I tab-into a game my graphics card works harder and it interferes the front panel?

My front panel has two connectors; HD AUDIO and AC 97. The HD AUDIO is obviously connected to the motherboard. However, the AC 97 is just free falling. I guess I should strap that elseplace? Is the computer smart enough to detect that the HD AUdio cable pack is connected then it will ignore the AC 97?

What kind of damage should I be looking out for? Can you elaborate?

Will it help if I take a picture of how everything is connected?

Pretty much what were saying is possibly the cable between the mobo and the front ports could be damaged, nicked, bare conductors exposed. Or it could be getting EMI (interference) from somewhere inside the computer, possibly from the PSU. I think it would be more likely that interference would come from the PSU than the GPU. The PSU is full of components that cause electromagnetic fields and can sometimes cause interference with other things. It is hard to say if this is really the cause or not. But you could try re-routing the cable between the front panel and the audio jack and see if it makes any difference.

As far as weather or not the cable has some kind of plastic covering makes no difference. Plastic gives no shield against EMI. A shielded cable would have braided wire covering the conductor wires/cable inside and needs to be grounded at at least one end. I have never seen a case come with shielded front panel cables.

You could also try hooking up the AC97 connector instead of the HD Audio connector and see if that makes a difference. The computer does not know which connector you have plugged in. The mobo will either have an HD audio connector or an AC97 connector, and you have to plug your cable in appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom