HDD space issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

lagurash

Solid State Member
First of all, I thank whomever comes here for your time.

My PC:
XP64 Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual 3.21 GHz
4gb RAM
NVIdia 8600 GTS 512kb
Hitachi 2TB 7200rpm 32mb Cache
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

When I installed XP64 Pro SP2 onto my new 2TB HDD, I noticed a little space issue with my hard drive. Of course, I first installed my mobo drivers and graphics drivers first in order to allow the system to get other programs smoothly. My hard drive, upon fresh and full formatted install, said that nearly half of it was already filled. I was annoyed, but I waited to fix this problem as I had other things on my mind and was busy transferring all of the video files that the following pictures show (yep, I'm one of those people ;) ). Anyway, I went googling to scout out what the potential problem was, and found TreeSize and SpaceMonger, as well as a few other programs. Many of the problems that other people were having were due to version issues of their OS: something like sp1 having a limit of ~127gb to show, or installing windows 7 on a previous windows OS whereby windows 7 would save their old info in a new folder, etc. However, I haven't been able to find a solution suitable to my problem.

As one can see from the pictures below, my OS sees and knows that my 2TB HDD is supposed to be 2 (1.81TB after OD install, of course), but it shows half of it as unscannable. Any help would be greatly appreciated and, once again, thank you for your time.

http://usera.imagecave.com/Mystyk/Missing Half.bmp.jpg
http://usera.imagecave.com/Mystyk/Missing Half v2.bmp.jpg

TreeSize shows the Documents and Settings folder consuming nearly all the space. Did you expand that to see what's in there? I've never used Space Monger, but it's showing half the consumed space is videos.

Two TB, half is full of movies (doc's and settings, since my movies are on my Administrator account's desktop) and half is considered unscannable. If you notice, TreeSize says that the C: drive is only approximately 1 TB full, but also notes the max size for the same drive is 1.8TB. Also, Space Monger is much like TreeSize, in that it analyzes total disk space (rather than just used space, like TreeSize does) and expresses file allocation.

I have done already done a chkdsk /f run, and it hasn't fixed the space issue.

Ugh, nevermind. My advice to anyone having this kind of problem is to just return the hard drive and get a replacement.

Thank you all for your time and advice.

I used HDDguru's HDD Wipe Tool, then did a quick format when reinstalling my OS. It ended up fixing my problem, and hopefully it'll help someone else. Keep in mind that this tool will completely erase all data, so back up what you want/need beforehand.

Well, the full format was always causing half my brand new 2 TB hard drive to be unusable, so I think I'll stick with the quick format that gives me full usage of the 1.8TB left over...

That has nothing to do with the format. That has everything to do with the Os being installed. XP, even XP X64, before SP2 had the 137GB Barrier on it. You need SP2 for both XP and XP X64 to not have that limit.

I also have a 2TB hard drive and i used GParted to format it myself. I did not have any issues having the full drive be used.

lagurash said:
My PC:
XP64 Pro SP2
AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual 3.21 GHz
4gb RAM
NVIdia 8600 GTS 512kb
Hitachi 2TB 7200rpm 32mb Cache
Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe

So, it's not a matter of the service pack...reading is fun! Well, it's not for most people, but it's necessary to actually be helpful on a forum...
I didn't come here first for answers, I did quite a bit of web browsing before I decided to ask for help.

Anyway, it might have been an issue with my XP64 Pro SP2 disk during the full format, or an issue with my DVD drive reading it during the full format...or some combination of factors during the full formatting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom