New Build, Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyboy123x

Daemon Poster
I just shipped my old computer during a move and its broken beyond repair, so its time for an upgrade :)

My last build:
amd x2 4200+
asus a8n-sli premium
evga gtx 260 (core 216)
550w psu
150gb wd raptor

I figure I can keep the vid card for another year or so, but I'm utterly lost when it comes to brands and acronyms these days - I haven't looked at processors or motherboards in almost 5 years.

With a budget around $1k, what should I get in terms of cpu (and fan/heatsink for it), mobo, psu, memory, and hdd? I already have a case, monitor, gpu, sound card, wireless card, 2 other hdd (i suspect 1 or both are damaged), etc so this is more of a "core upgrade."

Is Intel still the way to go? Are the bridges and memory capacity the only difference between Newegg.com - ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards and Newegg.com - ASUS P7P55D-E LX LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards (god i feel dirty.. like a noob again).

Thanks!

No, the 2 boards support differrent chips. The first is 1366, i7 920 and above, and the second is 1156, which is i3/5/7s.
The 1st is also triSLI, and the 2nd is sigle pci-e board.
What brand psu, as it might still be good.

I'm pretty sure the psu is part of the problem because the box showed up mangled by FedEx but it was a **** good one... one of the first SLI approved ones but i can't remember the brand. I'll try using the old one to start but I'd like to at least see whats out there for newer models

You can save $20 by getting this ram kit. socket 1366 supports triple channel memory, so it's best to get 3 sticks. Single 4gb sticks are very expensive. You're also getting more ram this way... (6Gb)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Desktop Memory

I wouldn't get the raptor, the caviar blacks are very fast drives. You save an additional $130 here.
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -Bare Drive

That's $150 right there, if you need to shave more money off, you could downgrade your motherboard... i would try not to though, as that's quite a nice motherboard. If you must, you could look at this:

Newegg.com - EVGA E758-TR 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

The ram i chose is better. Other than that, it all looks to be compatible.

The ram you chose has high heatsinks so they may interfere with the cpu heatsink if you get a large aftermarket one.

The patriot memory runs with timings 7-7-7-20 on the Asus board according to the manual, does the difference in speed really make that much of a difference? The board doesn't run ddr3 1600 (only OC'd), so would this even matter?

it's been tested at 7-7-7-20 timings but at a slower 1066 mhz.

25zmaev.jpg

and yes, you do have to OC the ram to run at that speed. i think most ram will run at something like 1066 or 1333mhz by default, but 1600mhz is listed in the mobo's specs because it's been tested to run ram at those speeds, it's not uncommon.

it's unlikely you'll notice any difference in real world applications anyway, so IMO you should just go with the g.skill ram aliasaid listed, it's cheaper anyway.

Touche haha.

I've updated the setup a little bit - hows this motherboard compare to the Asus one?
Gigabyte: Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
Asus: Newegg.com - ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

I oc for games and certain tasks and I get the impression the $275+ boards are more for the "hardcore i7@4.2ghz" kind of crowd, am I misguided? I like the 7 slots, floppy & ide support, and tons of SATA ports on the Gigabyte vs the Asus, do I miss out on anything significant by saving the $100?

The gb board says its compatible with Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory (the 2x2gb set), does that also mean it works with Newegg.com - G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Desktop Memory (the 3x2gb set)? The only difference in the model numbers are a T/D (Triple / Dual channel set?) and a 6/4 (gbs in set?)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom