Gaining experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

gula187

In Runtime
How do i get experience if the entry level jobs require experience? i was browsing for jobs yesterday and every entry level job i saw required at least two years experience

That is the messed up thing about this industry. Every job requires experience (even the most entry level position), but no one will give you a job without that experience. So how in the world do you get that experience that no one will allow you to obtain!?!?!

I ran into the same thing, and i'm sure most others have to when they were first starting out. REally your best bet is to have a degree or certifications. Those are the 'stepping stool' that will allow an employer to look past your lack of experience and give you a shot. They'll see that maybe you don't have any experience, but you must know something if you have a computer degree or a few certifications.

A computer degree of some type is the most valuable (CIS / CSC), but certifications can be an option if you can't get a degree. I would personally start out with A+ and Net+, then an operating s ystem certification like Windows 7.

That is the messed up thing about this industry. Every job requires experience (even the most entry level position), but no one will give you a job without that experience. So how in the world do you get that experience that no one will allow you to obtain!?!?!

I ran into the same thing, and i'm sure most others have to when they were first starting out. REally your best bet is to have a degree or certifications. Those are the 'stepping stool' that will allow an employer to look past your lack of experience and give you a shot. They'll see that maybe you don't have any experience, but you must know something if you have a computer degree or a few certifications.

A computer degree of some type is the most valuable (CIS / CSC), but certifications can be an option if you can't get a degree. I would personally start out with A+ and Net+, then an operating s ystem certification like Windows 7.

^ LEX hit it on the head,
Thing is though I ran a VERY successful IT company and to be frank I didn't care what certificates you had if you had talent and the ability to learn + the right attitude I hired you. Just be patient and dont fudge your CV to fit a job you cant do, just walk into any local IT shop and say even if it's unpayed I still want a few hours to help out and gain real word experience.

if you going to ask a shop to help, even unpaid, you'll have better luck with a less busy place at first.

that actually might not be the case for you. i only say so because people walk into the shop i work for all the time, asking to learn, and we have to tell them no because the shop is 16 years old and has a very large client base. the store is extremely busy and we don't have the time to monitor what someone else is doing. so if you find a shop that doesn't stay backed up, you might be more successful in your hunt and they might have more time to teach you.

You could always apply for internships too. I know this is most likely to occur for a college student but I guess it's still possible for you to get one. (some are paid, some aren't)

thankx guy i didnt think about that, but my next question after gaining experience does a help desk tech comes first then help desk support? or does it matter

Doesn't matter - every company is different and use different names for their positions. Generally speaking:
helpdesk support is the lowest (answering phones, troubleshooting over the phone), next would be desktop support (actually going to their desk to fix things).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom