Computer running extremely slow on Windows 7 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonPerry

Solid State Member
Hello:

I am in the process of upgrading my old XPS Gen 5 Dell computer to a faster self-built computer [See below for the specs of my build] . On first start, everything seemed fine until the Windows 7 logo comes up and the computer just restarts. It goes into that loop over and over again. I have tried messing with the BIOS settings of the new motherboard but to no avail (remember-I cannot open into Windows). I am in the process of reinstalling Windows 7 onto a new hard drive but it is still taking a VERY long time to install (1 hour to go 10% of "Expanding Windows Files"). I have installed Windows 7 before and it has never taken this long. As I am typing this (on a different computer obviously) it is at 16% on the same section ("Expanding Windows Files"). It hasn't even touched the "Installing Features" part yet. Does anyone know of any reasons why it would be taking so long? OR Why would the computer be on a constant restart loop in the first place? I know there really isn't very much information here so if you would like more just respond to this post. Anything would be appreciated.

New hardware installed:

* Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case to replace casing from stock case off the Dell XPS Gen 5 computer
* EVGA nForce 730i GeForce 9300 Socket 775 MB to replace stock motherboard off a Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 computer (Dell Dimension XPS Gen 5 Motherboard GC068)
* Ultra LSP750 750w Power Supply
* Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 2.5Ghz 6M to replace the stock Processor, 80547, Pentium 4 Prescott Dt, 640, SKT-T, Male
* ULTRA CHILLTEC AM2/775/I7 CPU COOLER

Jason

It's neither, as this install is on a new hard drive and it was running slow before I got the disk and or hard drive. The HD is a new Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB 7200 RPM. Any other suggestions?

I had a similar cause. It ran slow even at 7 setup, each window took time.

I fixed this by disabling the floppy drive in BIOS. I expect you don't have one. Your computer is looking for it, to no avail.

MindoverMaster: I will try that later on today as I am at work at the moment and will report back. Hopefully that works!!

So I went and checked out the BIOS and the A drive was already disabled. I had to restart the computer to be able to check the BIOS, so now I am in a waiting game again to put in the Windows 7 Product Key. I have not yet been able to successfully log on to my computer for almost a week now. :annoyed: Just the same, thank you all for your continued support. Any other suggestions?

Jason

which windows 7 version are you using ?
dell upgrade
vista to 7 upgrade
oem windows 7

are you selecting the custom install ?
edit: the above only pertains to the upgrade cd

i wouldn't even wait on it. try loading fail safe defaults in the bios, see if that helps. if not, try removing any component that isn't absolutely necessary to install the OS and try again. if you're still having issues, you could try flashing the bios but be sure you know what you're doing. and are you sure everything is compatible? i mean just because the socket type matches, doesn't mean the proc is compatible...things like that should be kept in mind.

are you using a " ide" cd drive or " sata" cd drive .
in the tiger direct reviews one person mentions to make sure you have selected the correct cd drive. he said both versions are listed in the boot options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom