Networking/LAN issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 1394

In Runtime
I have three computers: The Dell running windows ME, a Gateway running windows NT, and my custom built one running XP. The network was working fine but just stopped. Now almost nothing works. The Dell does not see either of the other two computers, but the Custom and the Gateway will see each other and the Dell, and can even get files from the Dell. But when I try a game (Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3) they do not see each other. Nor can I share the internet connection. I have them set to static and unique IP's but the Dell still does not see any others. TCP/IP is installed and so is IPX, firewall is disabled also . I really need help on this one, any help would be appreciated.

Make sure that the workgroups are the same by right clicking on My Computer and clicking Properties. Then on win XP click on Computer name. You will see were it says "To rename this computer or join a domain click Change" well click change. Then just make sure the work group is the same name as the other computers. It is the same concept for the others too. Hope this helps.

I tried switching the Workgroup name from MSHOME to WORKGROUP and then none of the computers could see each other, so I switched it back to MSHOME and they could see and share files. But no dice on Internet connection sharing. I think there is something wrong with TCP/IP because I fired up Icewind Dale II and went to IPX started a game server on the Custom and the Dell was able to see it and connect to it and play. Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, and BHD still do not work. Does anyone have any idea on what could be wrong with TCP/IP?

well you can go as afar as uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP on each machine. also what you can try is creating users for each computer. meaning. whatever username you log into the custom computer with add that user to the other 2 machines and take the username for the dell machine and add that user to the other 2 machines and keep doing that unitl each computers username that you log in with is on each machine

well you can go as afar as uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP
I'll try that.

UPDATE: I tried uninstalling TCP/IP on the Dell and reinstalling it, no luck there, and the XP machine doesn't have the option to uninstall TCP/IP.

what firewall did you disable? 3rd party or xp or both?
I had Zone Alarm, but I disabled that before this started happening.

make sure that your IP Addresses are in the same range ex:

make sure that every computer has the same first three numbers

Thanks everyone for your help. I figured out the problem: I disable Zone Alarm through msconfig , come to find out truevector(I think) still runs in the background, keeping me from see anyone and vice versa. So un-installing it fixed it. So (most)games work now. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom