Second Thoughts On Upgrade - Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
I'm upgrading my MB, CPU, and Memory... Due to limited funds right now I'll be keeping my existing heatsink / fan and purchase an adapter to fit a 1366 CPU... I plan on getting the Corsair H50 soon after this purchase but that's a whole other thread at that point...

As of right now on my Newegg wish list I have the following -

Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Model BX80601930

ASUS P6X58D Premium LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

G.SKILL PI Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7T-6GBPI

XIGMATEK ACK-I5361 Intel Core i7/Core i5 compatible Bracket Set

Now I find myself, as I always do before I order, second guessing my choices... I want to make sure that what I selected will work well with what I plan to use it for...

First, I want to achieve a 4+ Ghz OC... I've read around that the 930 oc's well and some say that it doesn't oc as well as the 920... Same with the motherboard I selected. I see clocks all over the place. I like this board and the way it looks but am not "set" on it by any means.. I know it has 6GB SATA and 3.0 USB but I don't have anything right now to utilize this and by the time I do I will probably want to rebuild anyway... I like the memory I selected but not sure how well it will support the OC I want to achieve.

Second, I do HD video editing. With my system now it is very laggy. I'm hoping this will improve greatly with this setup especially with a good OC.

Third, I am a gamer. Right now my game of choice is Bad Company 2 which I play on low settings to achieve good frames. I would like to play maxed out while recording in game footage with Fraps.. If I try this now I can only pull off frames in the mid 20's...

Right now my budget is about $750 with a little wiggle room... Shhh, don't tell the wife... Right now my cart comes to about $770. This is with the combo deal on the MB and CPU.. Not sure if this is the best setup for what I want or perhaps the 920 with an Asus deluxe v2 mother board would fair better...

Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Hmmm... well I'm no expert in memory, but I believe the G.Skill you selected are great modules with what appear to be plenty of heat sink! I usually prefer Corsair memory, though. But again, I'm not really an expert with memory modules considering how many there are these days.

I think that Asus board is a safe bet. With water cooling you should be absolutely fine getting a 4 GHz achievement.

Now, for the HD video editing.... what program do you use? I'm going to take a wild guess Adobe Premiere, but please list that and any info. Video editing has HUGE memory requirements and you may want to get more than 6 GB. You can fill up your whole system memory pretty quick with that kind of information.

Are you currently playing Bad Company 2 with the hardware you have listed in your signature?! I can't believe for a second that a Q6600 and GTX 295 suffer and require you to lower your gfx settings. What resolution are you playing at!? I have the system in my sig except the 8800 GTS is now a 8800GT OC and I play at 1680x1050 on high everything with great frames.

I use AVS Video Editor.. I know it's not that great of an editor but I'm just starting out...

Yeah Bad Company 2 for some reason doesn't like my system... It's the only game that has made me tweak down my settings in order to play with this system... Very frustrating... I don't think it likes the 295 from what I've read... I play at 1900x1200 with everything on low and get an average frames of high 50's.. If I try to turn anything up frames drop rapidly... Sli is working but only seems to utilize up to 43% or so of my GPU's... Crazy...

I use AVS Video Editor.. I know it's not that great of an editor but I'm just starting out...

Yeah Bad Company 2 for some reason doesn't like my system... It's the only game that has made me tweak down my settings in order to play with this system... Very frustrating... I don't think it likes the 295 from what I've read... I play at 1900x1200 with everything on low and get an average frames of high 50's.. If I try to turn anything up frames drop rapidly... Sli is working but only seems to utilize up to 43% or so of my GPU's... Crazy...

Okay I'm still working on the AVS Video Editor specs, but as far as the BC2 performance goes, download newest drivers / last known working, turn off HBAO (if it is not), try 1680x1050 (this game has HUGE fps drop with increased resolution with minimal visual quality loss), and make sure your card is not utilizing adhan1784;1790917]I use AVS Video Editor.. I know it's not that great of an editor but I'm just starting out...

Yeah Bad Company 2 for some reason doesn't like my system... It's the only game that has made me tweak down my settings in

Those G.Skill modules have "Tall" Heatspreaders which can cause obstruction issues with a lot of newer heatsinks. They may work with your present heatsink but if you try to upgrade it later you may be mad. Save yourself some cash and eliminate the possible obstruction issues with these instead :D

Newegg.com - OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Desktop Memory

I already ordered... I stuck with the G.Skill memory... I figured if it gets in the way I'll just end up purchasing some kind of water cooling block (which I was going to do anyway).. That should give me plenty or room...

I don't believe anyone that purchases the Corsair H50 should be allowed to be called a Water Cooler user...
It's the Water Cooling System for those too scared to buy a quality WC unit or build one themselves.

Besides, it's performance isn't any better than mid-high end air cooling setups, heck I bet you can get an air setup for half the price that can compete head on with that H50.

And I've read some disconcerting reviews about the Corsair H50...
Broken pipes etc...
I wouldn't buy such a thing personally.
So if you decide to do water cooling, I recommend going after a real WC setup.

Also bad company 2 runs like crap. On my 4850 I get about 40fps with everything on high (2048x1152) and its got this weird shuddering. Fps doesn't drop, it just kinda laggs, idk how to describe it really, but it does the same thing on a friend's 4890. Crap port, which are becoming all too common nowadays :(

orihS ‪‪‪Shiro;1791365 said:
I don't believe anyone that purchases the Corsair H50 should be allowed to be called a Water Cooler user...
It's the Water Cooling System for those too scared to buy a quality WC unit or build one themselves.

Besides, it's performance isn't any better than mid-high end air cooling setups, heck I bet you can get an air setup for half the price that can compete head on with that H50.

And I've read some disconcerting reviews about the Corsair H50...
Broken pipes etc...
I wouldn't buy such a thing personally.
So if you decide to do water cooling, I recommend going after a real WC setup.

First of all I wouldn't dare call myself a water cooler user. I didn't know it was an exclusive club...

Second, Yes, I'm sure you could purchase a cheaper HS/Fan to do the job but the HS/Fans are very big and I'm looking for something to give me a little more space with the memory that I purchased... I'm not going to purchase this because it is a "water cooler".. I'm getting it because it is a space saving heatsink solution that provides cooling comparable to the mid to high level air coolers...

I'd love to go the full all out WC route but it is kinda pricey... Someday though...

H50 blocks the exhaust spot on the back of your case...

Go with a thermaltake true, megahalems, or heck even the coolermaster hyper 212 would be a good choice. The h50 is just a big waste of money, like the TEC powered v10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom