Can you edit partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
On my ASUS laptop, there are two partitions. C:/ only has 74.5 GB allocated, and D:/ has 208 GB allocated. Can I move 108 GB from D:/ to C:/ using GParted without losing any data on C:/?

Thanks

If the 108GB on the D: is free, then all you have to do is shrink that partition and extend the other. The GParted UI makes that relatively simple.

How do you extend a partition? I didn't see any way to add the 108 GB to drive C:/. It seemed to be maxed out.

You have to shrink the D: partition by that amount first. Then, the 108GB will read as unallocated and you can extend your C: drive over that 108GB

Yes, I did shrink drive D:/ successfully and 108 GB is unallocated.

I just didn't see any option to 'extend'

I don't know what it's called exactly in Gparted.. I'm sure you'd be able just to drag and rearrange the partitions on the disk using the editor on the top there.

I believe that with the way you have it you will have to delete the second partition, so there is 208gb unallocated space, then extend the first partition and recreate the second partition. This is what I had to do as when the second partition is shrunk the emtpy space is after the second partition and the first can't access it. Hope that makes sense, bear in mind that the last time i had to do it was about 8 years ago so things may have changed. Also note that deleting the second partition will remove all data stored in it.

From my experience, you can drag the D: partition to the end of the disk, after shrinking (This will cause all files on that partition to copy themselves to the place they're being moved to, and delete themselves from where they are being moved from), putting the unallocated space between the two partitions. Depending on how much data you have, it can take a while :tongue:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom