Any news about the new Nvidia cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol, actually ATI on average has better gpu scaling than Nvidia. This is generally accepted.

HardOCP said:
We saw real-world benefits, we think are related to the framebuffer, in Aliens vs. Predator. The Radeon HD 5970 was not able to play with 4X AA at 2560x1600, whereas GeForce GTX 480 SLI was. We also experienced awesome performance in Bad Company 2 with 16X CSAA and 2X TR SSAA that was much more than "playable." Even more impressive was DiRT 2, which we were able to have 8X TR SSAA plus 8X CSAA enabled, for a truly breathtaking visual experience. And get a load of this. GeForce GTX 480 SLI allows Crysis Warhead to be playable at 2560x1600 4X AA/16X AF all Enthusiast settings. Take that to the bank, GTX 480 SLI is the real deal.

HardOCP said:
NVIDIA rules the schoolyard when it comes to multi-GPU scaling. CrossFire gets left with a black eye.

And they think Nvidia may have something for Eyefinity also.

HardOCP said:
More relevant still is the awesomeness of GeForce GTX 480 SLI performance. We simply were not disappointed in the performance that GTX 480 SLI delivered. We think a large part of that may be the fact that the GTX 480 benefits from a larger framebuffer per GPU. Still, the facts are it provided incredible performance at incredible AA settings at 2560x1600. We can make an educated guess that this configuration will equally impress when using multi-display gaming. NV Surround is not yet supported in the current driver release but we are expecting in within 30 days hopefully. While the price of admission is going to be very high, 3x1 display NV Surround gaming looks as though it will possibly bring a "can of whoopass" to multi-display gaming. SLI will be required for NV Surround 3x1 gaming, but you will be able to use 3 DVI displays natively. No DisplayPort required.

No Display Port required :D

They are about even. Based on the Dirt 2, Bad Company 2, Stalker, and Mass Effect 2 benchmarks from Anandtech, the average increase from 5870 to 5870CF was 70.615%, and the average increase from 480 to 480SLI was 72.215% (I did this myself).

Not really that much of a difference

Nice to see that DP won't be needed for NV Surround. Although I am kinda disappointed at the fact that SLI is required

+1 to slaymate :)

Whether Nvidia will recover from bungling the 400 series only time will tell. Whether they have to change the way they operate, after years of success, I'm not sure.

They are about even. Based on the Dirt 2, Bad Company 2, Stalker, and Mass Effect 2 benchmarks from Anandtech, the average increase from 5870 to 5870CF was 70.615%, and the average increase from 480 to 480SLI was 72.215% (I did this myself).
ok wtf? I just did the calculations myself from anandtech using their benches from Dirt 2, Bad Company 2, Crysis Warhead, Battleforge DX11, HAWX, L4D, and Stalker.
The 480 to 480 SLI average performance increase was 67.8%
the 5870 to 5870CF average performance increase was 60.4%

what was the whole ATI bad generation? was it the Radeon 3000 line?
No, it was R600 (2900 series)
A fast GPU, but it had a massive die size, high power consumption, was expensive to make and buy and also wasn't quite fast enough against G80.
The 3800 series (RV670) was basically a revision of R600 designed to massively reduce the die size and power consumption as well as price.
While RV670 still wasn't as fast as G80 or G92, it was a major step in the right direction; the price, power consumption and crossfire scaling made them much a more viable choice than R600.
The change in strategy that RV670 was made under is what led to RV770 (4800 series) and Cypress (5800 series) - not specifically designed to have the highest performance out of a single GPU. Just something that will compete in the high-end while also being inexpensive to make.
Whether Nvidia will recover from bungling the 400 series only time will tell. Whether they have to change the way they operate, after years of success, I'm not sure.
Well ATI have only been using their new strategy for three GPU generations (RV670, RV770, Cypress). It's only now that the difference in strategies has been so amplified.
ok wtf? I just did the 5870 to 5870CF calculations myself from anandtech using their benches from Dirt 2, Bad Company 2, Crysis Warhead, Battleforge DX11, HAWX, L4D, and Stalker. I get a 60.4% increase. Haven't done the 480 to 480SLI calculations yet, doing them now from the same benches.
Just remember that the 5970 is not equal to two 5870's in crossfire; it has lower clocks to reduce heat and power consumption.
Not saying you did compare crossfire scaling using the 5970 to 5870, but it is an easy mistake to make.

And they think Nvidia may have something for Eyefinity also.

Surround doesn't have six monitor support at all from what I have seen, much less from a single card. Even triple monitors will needs dual cards.

Honestly running 3+ monitors off a single card is the most important feature I want in my next gpu bar none but I'm likely in the minority.

Just remember that the 5970 is not equal to two 5870's in crossfire; it has lower clocks to reduce heat and power consumption.
Not saying you did compare crossfire scaling using the 5970 to 5870, but it is an easy mistake to make.

yeah I know, I didn't :) all straight 5870 to 5870CF comparison.

Well, I'd say from the results that it looks like SLI does indeed scale a little better than CF. So theoretically, that should close the gap a little between a 5970CF setup and a Tri-SLI 480 setup.

out of curiosity burn, how the **** did you get the results you got lol? I calculated the performance increase from single to dual card setup on each benchmark then added them all together and divided to get the average.

+1 to slaymate :)

ok wtf? I just did the calculations myself from anandtech using their benches from Dirt 2, Bad Company 2, Crysis Warhead, Battleforge DX11, HAWX, L4D, and Stalker.
The 480 to 480 SLI average performance increase was 67.8%
the 5870 to 5870CF average performance increase was 60.4%

They shoudn't be the same... You used more benchmarks than I did. But I didn't include Crysis because it's too Nvidia biased. I only used 4 cause I got bored.

And which reso's did you use? All?

yep. all benchmarks posted for each game. To clarify, your results aren't wrong. Mine are just more right :p because I sampled a larger amount than you did the average is closer to what it actually is.

Yeah... I got bored after doing 4 so I stopped

Still, 7% isn't exactly enough to justify HardOCP saying this:
"NVIDIA rules the schoolyard when it comes to multi-GPU scaling. CrossFire gets left with a black eye."

not to threadjack, but is HDMI better than DVI? I had bought a high end HDMI cable for one of my laptops and am wondering if it's worth using with the 480 *which I will be getting when fully released*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom