Any news about the new Nvidia cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think ATi's drivers are fine now. And have been improving tremendously on top of that. The whole "ATi is all problems" argument in my opinion is old old old.

But then we can go further and talk about how ATi's support for both Vista and Win7 is lame while nVidia's has been stellar. nVidia has had 1 driver release that was bummed. ATi is nothing but problems for a lot of people in both OS's since XP.
Was it not Nvidia drivers that caused the majority of BSOD's in Vista early on?
Also, I keep hearing a lot of people who say that Nvidia drivers keep getting worse in stability recently, while ATI's have always kept getting better since AMD acquired them.

But then this thread wasn't about drivers; it was about hardware.
It is not the end of the world. So what nVidia has had a bad stroke of luck with some stuff recently. ATi is STILL trying to recover from that "1 bad generation" that they had after the AMD purchase.
RV670 was already their first step, and it was a very significant one. I'd say they already have recovered since RV770. Evergreen series was just extremely well executed.

nVidia will have to go through the pains of it as well. Every company does.
Of course they will recover.
The real question is how? and how well will they recover?
More importantly, whatever their changes will be, will they be good for consumers?

I think the major problem basically comes from Nvidia's big ego. It seems to think that it should always have the fastest card no matter what; and then they have been trying to force CUDA and PhysX on the market, and cripple AMD at the developer side. These things have been backfiring on them by alienating consumers.

They can only truly rebound if they wake up and realise that they're doing things very wrong.
If they retain their current attitude, and just decide "okay we'll just have to keep doing what we're doing but try tweaking it a bit so that it works", it probably won't.

They need to really consider what their consumers really want and can afford. AMD/ATI did this straight after R600, and it worked.
Heck Microsoft had to recover TWICE from bad publicity. Windows ME and Vista. Now look at them. Sitting high with Win7 buzzing about and everyone happy as can be.
Microsoft is in a unique situation where even if they put out a bad product, they can still sit relatively fine for years.

I've complained a lot about Nvidia Drivers lately, but. There's always a but :D

I have found that my problem was actually with the updated Realtek Network Driver. Roll the Realtek Driver back to the original Windows 7 Driver and I am again the Fastest in this Kingdom. Or I will be with (2) GTX 480's :D

And I dare one and all to Defeat me. I am the King :D

But then we can go further and talk about how ATi's support for both Vista and Win7 is lame while nVidia's has been stellar. nVidia has had 1 driver release that was bummed. ATi is nothing but problems for a lot of people in both OS's since XP.

Apok is right nvidia has more bsods than ATI does. ATI having bad drivers is a thing of the past. asserting that this is still the case is simply wrong. You are also changing the subject ;)

It is not the end of the world. So what nVidia has had a bad stroke of luck with some stuff recently. ATi is STILL trying to recover from that "1 bad generation" that they had after the AMD purchase. nVidia will have to go through the pains of it as well. Every company does. Name me 1 single company that has not had a stroke of bad luck that they had to rebound from.

ATI won this generation clearly as Nvidia just now got their cards out and it's half over, and it's arguable that they won the previous generation. I don't ATI is recovering from anything. AMD on the other hand is a completely different case, although their 6 core chips are promising.

Heck if the statements are true and history is repeated then what has happened with Ati should tell people that nVidia will come back from this with a vengeance.

What? We will let the sales figures determine that. Nvidia can breathe a sigh of relief for getting the cards out finally, but ATI will be on their tale already well into development of the next card. Nvidia has a lot of work to do to catch up.

Heck Microsoft had to recover TWICE from bad publicity. Windows ME and Vista. Now look at them. Sitting high with Win7 buzzing about and everyone happy as can be.

Microsoft is an apex predator in it's market. They have no real competitors. People who would go apple would get is regardless, same with Linux. Simply put, most people will bend over and take whatever M$ dishes out and M$ knows this.

I've complained a lot about Nvidia Drivers lately, but. There's always a but :D

I have found that my problem was actually with the updated Realtek Network Driver. Roll the Realtek Driver back to the original Windows 7 Driver and I am again the Fastest in this Kingdom. Or I will be with (2) GTX 480's :D

And I dare one and all to Defeat me. I am the King :D
Why not get two 5970's? they're significantly faster and even use a bit less power.

ATI multi-gpu scaling sucks and I like using drivers that support all the features of the card. I really could care less about how much power is required and I'll manage to regulate the heat, on air (and I'll amaze everyone).:cool:

WoW this is turning into a big nvidia vs. ati thread. I was meaning to say its going a little bit past luck, nVidia's philosophy is flawed at this point. It is not like luck was the major factor in this release; all of their design ideas and implementations lead up to it, and in fact, they would have been lucky ff TSMC were able to produce these chips on a large scale with good yields. It just was not an attainable goal.

There really doesn't seem to be much point in complaining about nVidia though, to me it seems clear that they are trying to enter other markets -- like supercomputing, and gaming isn't their #1 priority anymore. It shows.

ATI multi-gpu scaling sucks and I like using drivers that support all the features of the card. I really could care less about how much power is required and I'll manage to regulate the heat, on air (and I'll amaze everyone).:cool:

lol, actually ATI on average has better gpu scaling than Nvidia. This is generally accepted. Whats wrong with catalyst? it lets you set up custom 3d profiles for games, which is really handy, especially if you have a game that for some random reason doesn't support AA or AF.

So you can go on and on about every single aspect of this. Am i saying that nVidia is perfect? By no means.

It is not the end of the world. So what nVidia has had a bad stroke of luck with some stuff recently. ATi is STILL trying to recover from that "1 bad generation" that they had after the AMD purchase. nVidia will have to go through the pains of it as well. Every company does. Name me 1 single company that has not had a stroke of bad luck that they had to rebound from.

Heck if the statements are true and history is repeated then what has happened with Ati should tell people that nVidia will come back from this with a vengeance.

what was the whole ATI bad generation? was it the Radeon 3000 line?

Whats wrong with catalyst? it lets you set up custom 3d profiles for games, which is really handy, especially if you have a game that for some random reason doesn't support AA or AF.

As does nVidia ;)

(note: trying not to get involved here, just adding factual info)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom