Lapped My TRUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke

Golden Master
Well, i did not have much to do today, so i figured i'd go down to my local autobody shop, get some 400,800,1000,1500,and 2000 grit sand paper and lap my true. I had been wanting to do it for quite a while.

The entire process from start to finish took me a little under 3 hours.

On 400 grit i did 8 rotations (20 passes per side) so a total of 80 passes which is up and down a sheet of sand paper per pass.

800 grit 21 rotations
1000 grit only 4 rotations
1500 only 5 rotations
2000 grit 5 as well

I skipped 600grit as it is not really needed at all.

Anyway, after unknowingly slowly rubbing skin off one of my fingers because it was gently rubbing on the sand paper for 3 hours, i came up with this.

p3280066.jpg

My idle temp at stock clocks dropped a good 10+ C. Load at least 10+ as well, more like 15.

I have not tried to see how my oc will look at load as every oc i try seem to become unstable after a few hours, but it is stable before then, it is very strange.

Anyway, i would recommend anyone who has a true or other equivalent heatsink that you can lap, to do so. It was fairly simple, alot of work, but simple work.

Well it looks like you did a good job and got a decent result. :) Hope you can get it stable.

Nice job. Good drop in temps as well.

I did the same thing to my fingers when I lapped my Q6600... got done, looked at my fingers and was like oh crap lol.

^yeah, i did not even notice until i was pretty much done, and the skin was just like completely gone off my left middle fingur....its kinda hard to type on it now lol.

wow..after seeing how everyone gets these types of results from lapping their TRUEs it makes me wonder why they don't lap them before shipping or at least ship them with some sort of lapping kit :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom