Random Reboots through XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mirgy

Beta member
Greetings

As of yesterday, my computer starting acting up.. I was in the middle of playing Jedi Knight 2 with some friends online when all of a sudden my computer randomly rebooted on me. Now I'm aware there is an option that can be turned off in XP that will instead give you a blue screen error message with a code as well, however, I wasn't getting any blue screen errors.. These reboots I believe aren't software related but possibly hardware. Either way, the reboots are random and since then I've been able to go into windows administration settings and check the event log for any errors and Windows hasn't logged anything.. So that's what gives me the idea that this problem is hardware related. But once the continous reboots start, the computer gets into this reboot loop, the timing of the reboots appears random, sometimes it'll reboot while in the middle of loading XP, other times it'll reboot right before the computer gets past POST.

Currently right now this is what I have running in my computer:
-ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
-AMD 2700+ XP
-Chaintech 7NJS-Zenith Motherboard
-30GB Western Digital HD
-40GB Maxtor HD
-Sound Blaster Audigy II
-Sony DRU510A DVD Burner
-Aopen DVD-ROM
-3 88mm Case Fans

And a Power supply which MIGHT be causing the problem.. I'm not sure if this power supply is under an extreme load or not, however, these are the specifications for the PSU.. If you believe this PSU the cause of the random reboots, I'd be much obliged if you tell me up front this thing is junk...

Thermaltake Silent PurePower, 420W ATX power supply.UL, CSA, TUV, CE Approved. Intel Pentium 4 Compliant

Model# TT-420AD(DUAL FAN)
Item # N82E16817153006

Specifications:
Type: ATX
Maximum Power: 420W
PFC: No
Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
Hold-up Time: >16ms at Full Load
Efficiency: >65%
Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.8V;+3.3V trip point<+4.5V;+12V trip point<+15.6V
Overload Protection: Not specified
Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230VAC
Input Frequency Range: 47-63 Hz
Input Current: 10.0A (Measuring 90-132Vrms);5.0A (Measuring 180-264Vrms)
Output: +3.3V@30A;+5V@40A;-5V@0.3A;+12V@18A;-12V@0.8A;+5VSB@2A

As for checking the ram, I did that by running the memtest86 program and it came up with a bunch of errors.... Considering this ram isn't even half a year old, I'm going to RMA it back to Newegg in exchange for new memory sticks...

As for the CPU and FAN related questions, the CPU runs on average of about 50c while the CPU fan runs at about 5000rpm.. I don't think the problem was the CPU... However, after I get this replacement RAM, hopefully this was the ONLY problem with the computer and hopefully the rebooting will cease.

I've been having the same problem ,

AMD 2600+ 333FSB
K7 Triton - Gigabyte GA-7s748-L Motherboard
512 DDR, PC3200

---------
Basically I have to press the restart button, or turn the powersupply switch on and off like 5-10 times before the sucker will kick back on, and begin to even show the BIOS. (Before it would just turn the video off, spin up the cd drive without showing any bios screen, no start up beep, etc.. then restart constantly within 10-20 seconds of each restart...

I have no clue what the solution is, I have brand new components (after old mobo/pro +ram fried) and now I'm gonna get a new case/PS, so if the power supply is to blame, I'll post back, and let ya know some results. =)

well to see if its windows or hardware try booting and going into bios and just leaving it in the bios.. and see what the cpu temp reads.. if it crashes on you in bios its a hardware problem.

You wouldn't have happend to download Service Pack 2 for Windows XP would you? My friend downloaded it last week and he's getting random lockups and reboots. After removing SP2 his problems are solved.

I'm 100% positive it's not a software issue. I even tried sticking in a new clean formatted Hard Drive and I still got the reboots.. As for for the RAM, I got some new stuff, & the reboots still occured... So now I'm pointing my finger to the Motherboard.. I have a Chaintech 7NJS-Zenith Ultra.. I bought this motherboard becuase of the awesome reviews people wrote about it.. All the OC features and such, (although I never OC'ed) And since then I've have nothing but problems. I'm starting to think that the Motherboard is to blame here. Although I don't have that big of a budget, I'm going full force now and I'm getting a new motherboard, CPU, etc.. I'm so fed up with this problem... I'm just thankful I have two computers and one still works lol.. This computer I'm talking to you guys now is a P2 that is never shut off... The other machine is my gaming machine, and while it's been in pieces continously, I'm starting to pull my hair out beucase I can't game with this P2 lol.

yup its either the mobo or cpy or both, thats what happened to me the amd was heating to hott and it short circuited my mobo, so now i nasically have to build my new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom