$600 build, opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nahledge

Baseband Member
Ok so I have been surfing around the site for a while now and I was originally going to build a better system but I ran into some financial trouble. Now I am ready to make my first build...again, but only have around $600 to work with.

I do NOT need a monitor, keyboard, mouse or optical drive.

Here is the build I came up with from looking at other suggestions and just randomly selecting some other pieces:

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
HD: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161317
Memory: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory
Processor+mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.352756

Total: $591.89

Any input/opinions/help is appreciated, thanks!

The memory standard on that motherboard is DDR2 and you chose DDR3 ram. Get a cheaper motherboard that supports DDR3 and upgrade the video card to a 5770.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A77TD AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards it has the 710 southbridge so you may be able to unlock the extra cores.

Newegg.com - XFX HD-577X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

i guess this way i made you spend an extra $15.. maybe find a cheaper mobo or get a cheaper PSU.

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Here's a cheaper alternative for a DDR3/AM3 motherboard.

If you want crossfire in the future though...
These will probably be your cheapest bet, motherboard wise.

Newegg.com - ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

Newegg.com - MSI 790X-G45 AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

The MSI board supporting full x16 x16 crossfire, the Asus board supporting x16 x4

They all have the proper southbridge for unlocking cores.

If you never plan on crossfiring don't get a 650w PSU unless it's on sale or cheap for you.
A 500w+ from a decent manufacturer would tie you over just fine.
OCZ, Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, Seventeam, Silverstone

Also there's a few other power supplies that are gems in the rough.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182200
That guy there is an unsung hero.
Amazing for a Rosewill PSU.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/881
There's a review on this PSU.
It's more than enough to power your rig.
And it's $20 less than the PSU you selected.

If you want to cut costs further...
And are NOT planning on crossfire.
I recommend this little guy here.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7339012&cm_re=hec_585w-_-17-339-012-_-Product
Only $30 and can power your rig pretty well.

ok thank you very much for the input, updated my build in the original post.

upgraded the gpu and chose a new mother board and power supply.

As far as what I will be using the system for...mainly gaming and watching movies on my TV.

is there any cheaper AND better memory? or possibly 6gb of memory for the same price with better performance?

is there any cheaper AND better memory? or possibly 6gb of memory for the same price with better performance?

lol, you're asking a lot! Just stick with the pair you chose..

There are some nice deals on antec case/PSU combos; you could save some money there and get a nicer power supply.

Here are a few w/ the antec two hundred S:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $90

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $90 w/ promo code

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! $100 and with modular PSU.

The 2nd option is the best i think, especially with the promo code.

ok thank you very much for the input, updated my build in the original post.

upgraded the gpu and chose a new mother board and power supply.

As far as what I will be using the system for...mainly gaming and watching movies on my TV.

I want to point out that the motherboard you selected only has 2 memory slots.
So you're limited to 4Gb of RAM.
((((((I doubt you will ever need more RAM than that in the foreseeable future.))))))
(2x2Gb)(Or 8Gb of RAM possibly, if you shelled out the cash for 4Gb sticks. o_O for 2x4Gb)
Also AMD processors as of right now use Dual Channel memory, so running it with 6Gb wouldn't benefit you very much, unless you use applications that require BUTTLOADS of RAM.
Like I'm talking massive 3D rendering projects in CAD or Maya or 3DStudioMax or something.

The RAM you have picked out is perfectly fine, and you'd be very hard pressed to find anything better AND cheaper.

If you're just gaming and watching movies 4Gb is PERFECT and you will NOT need more RAM.

Ok updated original post again, chose that other GPU because it was $10 cheaper and came with an HDMI cable which I need. Chose that Antec case as well, I think it will be better.

As far as Muffin's post, I don't plan on OC'ing or unlocking anything mainly because I dont know how. That triple core CPU I have not heard of but the phenom ii x2 555 I have read great things about so I think I will stick with that.

And for 4gb of memory and the mobo in my build, I plan on playing World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare 2 and eventually Diablo 3 - all on FULL settings....just want to make sure that I can do that all with 4gb of memory. I mean, I want 60fps+ in WoW at all times. Is that possible with this system?

Ok updated original post again, chose that other GPU because it was $10 cheaper and came with an HDMI cable which I need. Chose that Antec case as well, I think it will be better.

As far as Muffin's post, I don't plan on OC'ing or unlocking anything mainly because I dont know how. That triple core CPU I have not heard of but the phenom ii x2 555 I have read great things about so I think I will stick with that.

And for 4gb of memory and the mobo in my build, I plan on playing World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Modern Warfare 2 and eventually Diablo 3 - all on FULL settings....just want to make sure that I can do that all with 4gb of memory. I mean, I want 60fps+ in WoW at all times. Is that possible with this system?

Yes.
That is possible with this system.
Also, I recommend the Triple Core Phenom II that Muffin Man is suggesting.
It's pretty much just the Triple Core version of the Phenom II X2 550, which was the Phenom II X2 555's big brother.

And the Antec case is better than the Rosewill Blackbone for airflow, but not much else.

The Blackbone wins for wire management and space, and if you ask me it wins for looks too...
I think the Antec Two Hundred looks kinda crappy, but w/e.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom