raid vs more cache hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waynehead

Baseband Member
ok im looking to pick up a hard drive or two. im looking at these twoNewegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD253GJ 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

as you can see if i posted them correctly the latter is a tb with 32 mb cauche and the former is a 250 gb with 16. they are both 7200 rpm. what i want to know is, would it be faster to run 2x250 gb in a raid than the 1tb. i dont need a tb but if it would be about the same performance, as well as more reliable and is the same money then I will go with it. any input would be much appreciated. I have heard raid setups can bring problems and problems is the whole reason i dont just get a solid state drive and mechanical for backup. thanks in advance for advice.

If you can afford...get an SSD. They have much faster transfer rates and have no moving parts so they are virtually silent in operation. And if that speed isn't enough, get 2 SSD's and run them in Raid 0, then we're talking blazing fast transfers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom