Am3 board or no..?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was mostly being sarcastic on some of those topics, as far as the future goes anyway. I really have no idea whats upcomming for AMD. Or whats upcomming for any PC hardware for that matter. I was just trying to be sarcastic because I finally upgraded from a 5 year old machine, and now Im just waiting for them to completely change the hardware again. Hence my AM4, DDR4, PCIE 3.0, etc remark. When I bought my last machine the AM2 standard came out less than 6 months later, pretty much ending the upgrade path of my then new machine. So now 5 years later and I finally have a nice new AM3 machine, Im just waiting for "AM4" to be released haha. I pray to god AM3 rules king (in AMD land) for another year or 2 atleast!

Thank you Apokalipse for setting me straight on Bulldozer/Thuban. And your general wealth of AMD knowledge.

If it uses DDR2, it's not AM3. It will be AM2+ which is compatible with AM3 CPU's.

One good reason to get AM3 would be that you won't have to get new RAM later when you upgrade.
And you probably won't have to get a new board either; I think Bulldozer will work in AM3 boards, and that's coming out in 2011. Not 100% certain though.

DDR3 won't really give you better performance in most cases.
However, if you're getting a new system, now is about the time when people should be getting DDR3 instead of DDR2.

Thats kinda what I thought, but he had a box that said AM3 and it may or may not have said ddr3. I really didn't pay to much attention as I didn't have the money on hand. (sales men lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom